Burning Data

Old 06-19-02, 04:09 PM
sdivorceme
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Burning Data

Hello,
I am Using windows 98SE and have CD writer 9100 series, And when I try to burn Data by using windows explorer and put all data information onto CD burner and when Its completed. How do I know it was done. When I try to set it up on my computer nothing happens. Can you please help me.
Thank you,
Doris

Last edited by sdivorceme; 06-19-02 at 04:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-02, 06:23 PM
BSB
What burn software are you using? Or is cd writer 9100 the program and not the drive? when you use software such as nero or easy cd creator will give you a progress screen when you start the burn. and in the case of nero will eject the cd when completed.

Brian

Old 06-19-02, 06:45 PM
my 2 cents...

I like Nero. Worth the money! Seems to have more control over what I burn that the others. I burn more data files than anything, but like the ability to mix with graphics, and other medias as well.

Old 06-19-02, 08:32 PM
sdivorceme
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Burn Data

i am using Iomega Hotburn software. I can use 8x or lower speed. But when it says completed than ejects.
When I Put the completed Cd into Cd rom nohing happens. So this is the question How do I know it was done?
Thank you for helping me Put I need some more advise

Old 06-19-02, 09:08 PM
what type cd's are you using to burn? I discovered that re-writables (CDRW disks) can't be used to burn music. They require special formatting if you're going to read/write to them like a floppy. This should have come with your computer or CD burner if you purchased it separately.

also, on a plain writable disk, your program may or may not provide a means to "add" to a previously burned cd. if so, this makes the CDR disks very reasonably priced at about 28 cents per disk, depending where you buy them.

the first music cd i tried to burn didn't work because i was using the CDRW disk instead of the other.

-Kay

Old 06-20-02, 03:57 PM
BSB
If you dont see any files when you put the disk, after burn, in the drive. Flip it over and look at the back side. Compare it to a fresh disk that has not been burned yet. If you can see no difference, no data was burned.

Brian

p.s. not all cd-r's are easy to see the difference in burned and not burned.

Old 06-20-02, 04:34 PM
Just a question..

Don't cd's burn from the center out?

Old 06-20-02, 10:11 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Burning

Yes they do. Center out… You should try Nero burning software. At www.nero.com Get Nero 5.5 and go to town. Burn MP3’s at 12x or less. Data can burn around the 24 mark. Important Data, 12/16. Use good media 3M, Imation and don’t use re-writes, CD’s are cheap and believe me you are going to burn some coasters. You can burn video at data settings but burn around 12x. I have a 24x burner, I burn just about everything at 8 to 12x. Use 24x for files that are strictly data. Not that MP3’s aren’t data but it’s the way they are compressed that makes the difference. Disk to disk about 8x.
Have you went to “Windows Explorer” and tried to look at the disk? Or double click the “My Computer” desktop icon and access the drives that way? Did you leave the original CD ROM in the puter? You may run into a phenomena that a buddies burnt media may not be able to be read by your burner. But Nero will take care of that. Also that media you have burnt may not be able to be read by your OEM CD ROM. Again Nero can reduce the occurrence.

Old 06-20-02, 11:22 PM
I don't like the rewritables. The media gets corrupted too easily and with CDR's so inexpensive, you can honestly afford the CDR's just to write a little info to a disk. Then update the information on the disk by saving it again (data storage) with a newer name file. CDRW's were a foolish thing that I was told I needed by the salesperson who sold me the burner. Not their fault, mine, should have checked the forums BEFORE, not after.

-Kay

Old 06-21-02, 05:37 PM
Program upgrade?

I have a 9150i CD-RW and use it all the time. I took the HP upgrade program it worked very badly. I removed the new program and reinstalled the program on the HP CD that came with the drive, now all is fine.

I just mention this in case you upgraded from MY CD to the HP download. I kept getting Buffer under runs.

Old 06-21-02, 05:51 PM
Since downloading Nero, I haven't had any problems with my cd's or the data on them.

Nero gets a high five from me. Easy to use, well worth the investment if you like it. Wouldn't hurt to download it and try it. I ended up buying it and have no regrets.

Even comes loaded with the labeler and all!

-Kay

Old 06-21-02, 08:14 PM
sdivorceme
Visiting Guest
Burning Data

Thank you for all your information. I can burn my Music but Data I am not sure If its done right even when I get the message completed. This is my question: How do I know If has burn correcty.
Thank you

Old 06-21-02, 08:47 PM
Okay, next question. You said that it will burn your music disk. Does the music disk play on your computer and your cd player? Also, if you click on the disk drive in MY COMPUTER does it show an empty folder (with the burned data disk in it) or does it give a message similar to: no disk found ?

Kay

Old 06-22-02, 08:38 PM
sdivorceme
Visiting Guest
Burn Data

Thank you for your answers, When I put the Burn CD into Cd rom nothing happens. and than I go back to disk drive and no files to be found. Now What. How do I correct this problem Burning Data files to CDR?

Old 06-22-02, 08:41 PM
sdivorceme
Visiting Guest
Burn Data

If any one can tell me what I am doing wrong. Please write to me and take it step by step and I really appreciated all the help I can get.

Old 06-22-02, 08:58 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Nero...

Well for me to go any further you are going to have to go get Nero burning software. www.nero.com This software is pretty much recognized as the default burning software for data and MP3. I think you’ll find most of us here use Nero. I think they have a shareware version to get you by for now. Full featured version is about $40 but well worth the money. I know nothing about your current software so cannot help you any further. Burning software doesn’t care what kind of burner you have so long as you have one. I guess I could burn and send you the disk that came with my burner and then you can go upgrade it like I did. It’s up to you how you get it but get it you must… Down Yoda… We’ll go from here…