Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

afraid of back button/arrow

IL

06-20-02, 08:24 PM   #1  
afraid of back button/arrow

Is there an easier way to get back to where I was in the fourms? I like to veiw only "new posts", after I give a response, how do I get back to the next new question with out going all the way to start? If I hit the back arrow my responce gets deleted. I wish this had a spellchecker, late at night the brain gets plugged. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-20-02, 09:37 PM   #2  
bigmike
Y'all...

I grew up with a kid in Tom Sawyers town named Willis. Called him Willy. You ain’t him is ya? If you have responded to a question, “Is it raining” you respond “Yes” and then you have to scroll down and select “Submit” which in a few seconds will take you to what you have just posted. Look up at the top of the screen now… You will see DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Repair > Computers > afraid of back button/arrow Click on “Repair” and it will take you back to the initial forums list screen. From there you can go back to computers, auto etc.

IL

06-22-02, 04:22 PM   #3  
Thanks Y'all

But it don't work that way. I was looking for an easy way. I can click repairs, but still have to click a few more pages to get back to "view new posts" and then page 1,2,etc to get where I started from. Y'all come bac now hear!!!!

Visiting Guest

06-22-02, 05:21 PM   #4  
bigmike
Me? Lazy?

And I thought I was lazy!!! I give procrastination lessons! Gotta be a back woods Missouri boy

Visiting Guest

06-23-02, 07:42 AM   #5  
bigmike
Navigation...

When your done scroll down and look to your left. There will be a small window that has the forum listed you are in. click “Go” again and it will take you directly back to the “Computer” forum etc.

ME

06-23-02, 06:28 PM   #6  
Do you use Netscape for a browser? If you do the just hold the "back" button in and your last 10 or 12 sites will be listed in order. Just scroll down to the one you want to go back to and release the button. I'm not sure if I.E. works that way. Maybe a user of that browser can tell you better. I know what you mean about getting lost on this site. It took me a while to learn how to navigate it as well.

Super Moderator

CANADA

06-23-02, 07:34 PM   #7  
Not sure if this will help you.

When looking through a list of questions I will right click one that interests me and hit "open in new window". When finished with that one I close it and I am returned to where I started.
Because of my very slow dial-up connection to save surfing time I will right click and open a long list of questions, each in a new window. By the time I right click on several, the first is finished loading and I can then start reading them.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

06-23-02, 07:41 PM   #8  
I think there is something funny with the browser, have you considered uninstalling it, and then downloading the most current version and installing that?
Netscape is a AOL owned annoyance, and is very proprietary.
IE6 generally in no trouble for me.
gj

Visiting Guest

06-25-02, 06:46 AM   #9  
Zathrus
Netscape is hardly proprietary. In fact, the new version of Netscape which is currently in final testing is based on the open source Mozilla project (http://www.mozilla.com). It is considerably less proprietary than IE. But I'm not going to start a browser war here... I use IE currently because it does what I need it to.

Willy, you can use your back button with no fear. Your posts will not be deleted. Once you've submitted a post it's already on the server and you can't delete it just by hitting the back button.

I suspect what you're seeing when you hit back is a version of the page that doesn't have your new reply on it -- that's because it's the cached version. If you really want to see your post at the end, hit Refresh (F5 or Ctrl-R) when you get to the page that you had replied to. Your post should be at the bottom.

I use Alt-leftarrow or backspace all the time because I hate having a deep history list. It's all personal preference.

06-25-02, 12:16 PM   #10  
Thanks for the keystrokes! The history list can be a pain. I usually can remember how many pages back it was, but not the name.

-Kay

IL

06-28-02, 08:56 PM   #11  
back button/ Thanks/ Zathrus, and All

Thanks to everyone, Zathrus I tried it and it works fine. I got a few tips from all I'll have to check computer section more often, it will help a novice like me.

Search this Thread