Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removing a Partition

Visiting Guest

06-22-02, 08:28 PM   #1  
Rmen13
Removing a Partition

Hello I have Xp and Me on the same computer on different partitions. Is their anyway i can delete the ME OS? I have a compaq presario- 700 mhz, 20 gig hard drive. If more information is needed just ask. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-23-02, 07:48 AM   #2  
bigmike
Format

Yea just delete it. Then from “Windows Explorer” tell it to format that partition from inside windows. It will then be ready for storage of other programs. No real difference from doing this to and extended partition than doing it to a 3 ˝ floppy. If your dual booting you may have to make some other changes too.

Visiting Guest

06-23-02, 10:50 AM   #3  
Rmen13
can you give me directions on how to delete it and how to format it from windows explorer? Thanks

Visiting Guest

06-23-02, 03:30 PM   #4  
bigmike
Format

Easy, just like a 3 ˝ floppy should have gave the procedure away. Go to the “D” partition I would assume, right click on the “D” folder and select format. A window will come up asking you how you want to do this, choose what you want and tell it ok. According to how big the partition is will determine the time it takes. Don’t interrupt it until it’s done.

NH

06-24-02, 08:13 AM   #5  
It depends on whether or not you want to keep the drive with the 2 partitions or move to just a single partition, if you want to keep 2, the mentioned solution should work, if you want 1 full 20GB partition your going to need some 3rd party software such as Partition Magic to do it. You'll also need to edit the BOOT.INI file to remove the reference to the old Win ME install.

Visiting Guest

06-24-02, 06:26 PM   #6  
jmichna
Re: Removing a Partition

Originally posted by Rmen13
Hello I have Xp and Me on the same computer on different partitions. Is their anyway i can delete the ME OS? I have a compaq presario- 700 mhz, 20 gig hard drive. If more information is needed just ask. Thanks
Is WinMe on your C: drive or D: drive? Doing what you want is simple, but there may be complications if WinMe is on the C: drive. There is a hidden file "boot.ini" (in the C: drive root directory) that is what gives you the prompt to select which operating system you want when you first boot up. Before yopu eliminate WinMe, you will need to edit boot.ini so that it defaults to XP. One way to do this is to go to Start... Settings... Control Panle... System... Advanced... Startup and recovery... Advanced... Settings... and make XP the default OS; you can do an edit of boot.ini from here.

Assuming WinMe is on your D: drive, from within XP Windows Explorer, right click on the D: drive, and simply select "format." You can select either FAT32 or NTFS. Let 'er rip.

If WinMe is your C: drive, your situation becomes more complicated, since reformatting C: drive wipes out some needed XP files (e.g., boot.ini, ntldr, etc.) At this point you may want to get something like PowerQuest Partition Magic.
jmichna

Search this Thread