Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

computor locks up in the middle

Visiting Guest

06-23-02, 02:08 PM   #1  
rlbuick
computor locks up in the middle

I'll be online or just working and all of a sudden it locks up. I cant use the mouse or due a Ctrl Alt delete nothing.. I reset just to have it happen again and again,, any body familiar with this and how to fix it..

Sponsored Links

WI

06-23-02, 02:47 PM   #2  
How long does the system work before lockup? Could be that your cpu cooling fan is stopping and the cpu is over heating, or the fan may not be working at all if you are only able to use pc of a few minutes after starting.

Brian

p.s. how long have you had the pc?

Visiting Guest

06-24-02, 12:30 AM   #3  
rlbuick
pc lock up

Thank you for the quick reply.. to answer your? I've had the PC for 1year pentium 3, and it locks up after about 5-10 min. I checked the fan and it does seem to be struggling, thanks..

Buick

NH

06-24-02, 08:07 AM   #4  
A run time of 5-10 minutes definetly sounds like a heat issue, install a new heatsink and fan, you may also want to consider installing a case fan if you don't have on already.

WI

06-24-02, 11:50 AM   #5  
A lot of times you can tell when the cpu fan is starting to go. when the bearing starts going out the fan sounds like its out of balance and if you take pen you can lightly touch the center of the hub and it will quiet down and pick up speed. Unfortunatly there is now way to keep pressure on the hub and use the pc at the same time. It will cost about the same to replace the fan and heatsink as it would to just replace the fan.

Brian

Visiting Guest

07-06-02, 06:09 AM   #6  
Ginapulver
Having same problem

My tower stays on all the time and mine will lock up after about 5-10 minutes. Other times it's o.k. for longer.

Could you give me instructions how to install a new fan? Approx. cost?

Thanks,
Gina

Visiting Guest

07-06-02, 11:29 AM   #7  
olalde2000
Don't be to quick to change out the power supply.

Does the system freeze up after 10 minutes of your system being up or only when you're working?

The wrong video card driver will cause random lockups, and is a more common problem than people realize.

When the driver is a problem, you will freeze when the system starts loading graphic intense programs.

Just to get an idea, try changing the vido settings, for example, reduce down to 256 colors AND/OR REDUCE RESOLUTION. Does the system freeze less? If yes, it is either the video card or driver.

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE.

Visiting Guest

07-06-02, 07:12 PM   #8  
jeherrin
Just a quick note to remind people that there are MANY fans in a PC usually. Power Supply, CPU, Chasis, and Video Fan to name a few. You will need to track down the one that's the problem. (Hint: It's probably the one not turning )

Search this Thread