converting old file to word 2002

Old 06-24-02, 08:05 AM
christmascarol
Visiting Guest
converting old file to word 2002

I have this old floppy that is part of my old journal that I created long ago on an old computer. It was saved as a text file. Cannot read it in word 2002 that I have with my new computer. Have the squares,dots, etc. instead of the text when I open it) I have tried to convert it by opening the file, clicking on save as, and saving it with a new name as a rich text file.
I KNOW I am doing something wrong. I would really hate to loose this. Can someone tell me step-by step what I am doing wrong? According to Help in Word I have the converters installed to handle this simple task that I cannot do
I am runnng XP Operating system.
Thank you so much for any help you can offer me.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-02, 12:13 PM
BSB
can you open it in wordpad or notepade? If so, after you open it and can read it then save it as what ever. you may even have to go as far as opening it in an older version of dos.

Brian

Old 06-24-02, 02:23 PM
christmascarol
Visiting Guest
Brian,
I was able to open some of it in Word, but not all of it.. some pages are still the 'squares,etc' and some show the text. I think that I may have saved it in different formats since it was written in sections, didfferent pages at different times. I don't recall any more what version of word I may have used at the time. Don't recall if any was saved as a document in word, and other maybe in wordpad as text file?
Thanks for you help.