Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

IE 6 Moving Slower and Slower

06-24-02, 03:30 PM   #1  
IE 6 Moving Slower and Slower

I upgraded from 5.5 to 6.0 about six months ago, on a PIII-733 machine with 512 Meg RAM . I have an 18 gig scsi hd.

It seemed slower than 5.5, but I put up with it because of a desire to enjoy all of the "newer and better" features. I have regularly updated with all of the security and other updates that Msoft offers. I also upgraded to OE 6 at the same time.

I have run the "repair installation" applet, and it seems to help some. I use Mcafee Viruscan 6.02, and defrag with Norton Speedisk weekly. I delete temp files weekly, etc.

My os is 98 SE, and have found it to be very stable,with few crashes. I use Earthlink cable web service through Time Warner cable with a D-link router for hardware firewall.

I occasionally reboot the router and the modem, and that also seems to help some.

However, IE 6 still seems to load very slow and paints pages slower and slower.

I have used some of the websites available for checking speed, and tweeked rwin settings, etc. The sites show excellent transmission speed, so I think this is caused by IE.

Any specific ideas? (other than going back to 5.5)

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-24-02, 05:39 PM   #2  
Boogity
Man you must have read my mind, br. Everything you said is also happening to me. I'll be interested in any responses you (we) get.

06-25-02, 12:22 PM   #3  
Same here.

Am going to try something else and will get back to you if it works. I'll supply the link to the info I use as well.

-Kay

06-25-02, 12:48 PM   #4  
My suspicion is that the inner workings of Windows and IE 6 are too intertwined for our own good. Though I have enjoyed a stable experience with Win 98, I believe that Mr. Bill really could do us a favor to make IE a stand alone software package.

ps..I do own a large quantity of MSFT stock, but I still think they got to us consumers with many of their software bundles...

06-25-02, 01:02 PM   #5  
I'm moving a lot faster on IE6 now. Still need to defrag, but just removing some "other" temp files, cookies and history I'm a lot faster loading pages, plus bootup time was reduced tremendously.

Here's what to do to achieve it:

The problem files are Index.dat files in the respective folders. In real DOS they have no special privilages, but within Windows [including WinDOS sessions] they are held open in file sharing mode "networked files".

Removal is extremely simple in Win9xs: boot to Windows. >Start >Shut Down >Restart in MSDOS Mode. At the command prompt enter each of the following commands in turn.
deltree /y C:\WINDOWS\HISTORY
deltree /y C:\WINDOWS\TEMPOR~1
deltree /y C:\WINDOWS\COOKIES
exit

The process is complete. Run disk defragmenter after Windows reloads. Apotential drawback is loss of site settings stored within Cookies. All cookies are gone!
Here's the link to the thread explaining why we have to do this manually, lots of opinions, but the object here is to de-clutter your hard drive that uses up valuable disk space and bogs down the machine.
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...350#post248350

Am off to defrag now. Try it, see if it helps you too.

-Kay

06-27-02, 04:24 AM   #6  
Thanks, kaybyrd.

I tried it and it seemed to help somewhat, especially on sites I visit after initial loading of IE. It still loads slowly, and I don't notice any difference in the week and a half it takes to boot up Win 98. Someday I will try XP, but not soon.

I did encounter some interesting issues " rebuilding" some of the profiles I had created on some of my trusty sites....

I guess it doesn't matter how fast high speed access gets..after awhile we get spoiled and want instant everything!!!

Thanks again

06-27-02, 08:56 AM   #7  
That's the only downfall I've seen. The first time I did that, I wrote down the available space on my hard drive, then did the regular disk cleanup and wrote that number down. Then I did the DOS cleanup and checked the new numbers. I was amazed. When I defraged, which I had done on Sunday's anyway, I looked at the details and the wide open spaces between the data made me realize just how much 'stuff' was on there.

I'm running a lot faster online and off. Something that I noticed too, is what my cookies are set on has an effect on my speed. Of course, the first visit here again it was a little slower, but is has picked up speed again. I had it on "every time visit to the page" I had done that when I went to one site that requires that when you use IE5 or higher. I'm not sure which one to check, one of the two bottoms ones, I would think. Either "Automatically, or never". I'll have to check into that one, or maybe someone on here will know.

It gets frustrating to me, and I'm sure it does everyone else, when you're running dsl or cable modem and you're crawling along at a modem's pace. I had hoped this would help. It obviously isn't the complete answer since we're not running as fast online as we used to when we first installed IE6.

-Kay

Visiting Guest

06-27-02, 09:55 AM   #8  
Zathrus
Delete the temporary files if you want, whenever you want. No real big loss. Deleting the history will make you lose the list of your recently visited sites -- if you bookmark a good bit and use search engines like Google, probably no big loss.

Deleting your cookies is something you'll probably regret. You'll lose all kinds of setup information, auto-logins, and so forth. If you don't want cookies, turn them off in browser preferences. Deleting them just gives you the worst of both worlds.

I highly recommend installing AdAware from www.lavasoftusa.com -- most likely you've gotten some spyware/malware that's sucking down CPU cycles. In fact, one of the bigger pieces of spyware, Gator, is now being sued by the Washington Post and numerous other media related websites for theft of services and fraud (Gator replaces web ads with its own ads without any indication that it's doing so beyond the EULA).

06-27-02, 10:42 AM   #9  
One thing that is for certain is that with every upgrade things will run slower then before, assuming the hardware is the same. IE6 will run slower then IE5, WinXp will run slower then Win98. It may load faster, but the simple truth is that more features require more processing power. IE6 may load faster then IE5, but overall it will be slower. Things will get even worse if you have a lot of startup items (I've seen customer with 25 items in the startup folder), and not enough RAM. 128 Mb right now is the borderline. I've found no need for the Office startup program, or the Realplayer one, or many other programs. Having a HP multifunction is a killer, since you can't really disable that. Really, the only way to make it faster it to upgrade it , but meanwhile clear the history, clear the temporarey folder, degrad the drive (make sure you have about 1G of space), disable everything you don't need in the startup folder (run msconfig, and disable it from there), and it should run a bit faster. If you believe that IE is causing the problem, then install Netscape and see if it's any better. If not, then IE is not at fault. The fact is that with time Windows slows down also. And what I've ran into recently (very strange problem), is that I couldn't download anything from several website. I could browse the website, but when trying to download it will only download a few kb then stop until it will time out. I even reloaded thinking it was my machine, but to no avail. After I switched my provider (to ATT cable), the problem dissapeared, even though I made not one change to my machine, only the router was changed from PPPoE to regular DHCP. This probably may not be related to you, but I did notice that the customerd I worked with which had Earthlink experienced very slow downloads between 6 and 9 pm. I mean very slow, dowloading software will crawl along at 0.5 kb, regardless of the site. On my machine I can download that same file at the same time at 40 kb. Of course, if downloading is slow so is browsing, it will sometimes take 30 seconds just to load CNN.

06-28-02, 02:51 AM   #10  
trinitro I understand that with all the bells and whistles that come with an upgrade can slow you down. How come it takes awhile for it to bog? I noticed that there was a critical update that I was missing, installed and am running a little faster now. The clean up I did helped the overall performance of my system, but not with IE to the point of performance I had when I first installed IE.

Another question: I have installed the Google toolbar, is that part of the problems I may be having? I've noticed that one problem since that's install is that my cursor while online acts a little strange. Not a constant blink, like its timing is off sometimes. I believe that is the only thing that I've attached to IE.

I also ran AdAware, forgot to reinstall, and discovered that I had several program using my online service along with me. That has helped somewhat by removing them. Pages loading faster and cleaner. My email checks are much quicker as well. That's from not using so much bandwidth from here, correct?

-Kay

Search this Thread