Those Cursed Pop-up Ads

Old 06-26-02, 11:32 AM
timgeorge
Visiting Guest
Those Cursed Pop-up Ads

It seems that the pop-up ads are being generated by IE6 itself and not necessarily the web sites I am viewing. I say this because when browsing my own company site I am hit with ads and I know we have not authorized any.

Is there any way to prevent this junk content from popping up?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-02, 01:19 PM
Group Moderator
I've been using Popup Ad Filter and have been very pleased with its performance.

Go to: www.meaya.com

Old 06-26-02, 06:02 PM
Ad filters aside, if you are getting pop-ups, they are NOT coming from the browser, they are definitely from the page in question......Authorised or not!

Old 06-27-02, 05:57 AM
Zathrus
Visiting Guest
Ok, two problems here --

1) You apparantly have some spyware (programs secretly installed on your system that spy on you) or malware (programs secretly installed on your system that do things you wouldn't ever want them to do) on your box. This is probably what's generating the popup ads when you're surfing your own network. To remove the crap, go download AdAware from www.lavasoftusa.com - it's free, it's safe, and it will get rid of a lot of very nasty programs and cookies that do things like report your browsing habits, steal CPU cycles/disk space/memory, throw pop-up ads up, and even steal personal information.

2) To prevent popup/popunder ads in the future you have a few choices. You can switch to Mozilla at www.mozilla.org, which has one of the best popup stopper features out there. It's free and shouldn't have a problem surfing to most web pages. Alternately you can download Popup Stopper from www.panicware.com. It's also free, it does the job well, but it does have some oddities that you have to get used to (like clicking on a link that displays in a separate window doesn't work unless you hold down shift or ctrl or disable it briefly).

What ejones said is incorrect though... popup ads can definitely come from something other than the page in question. It may not be from the web browser, persay, but if you have malware it doesn't have to be from the page.

Old 06-27-02, 10:03 AM
001Julian
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Zathrus
You can switch to Mozilla at www.mozilla.org, which has one of the best popup stopper features out there. It's free and shouldn't have a problem surfing to most web pages.
I would not recommend you to switch to Mozilla right now, there were more than 2000 bugs found in the current 1.0 version. Perhaps when version 1.1 will be finally released or later..

Last edited by bigmike; 06-27-02 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-27-02, 11:41 AM
Zathrus
Visiting Guest
Sigh.

And how many bugs are in IE? Of any version?

Did you go to bugzilla and see what these "bugs" are? Most aren't bugs at all, or are the same thing over and over again submitted by different people. Most are minor cosmetic issues or weird configuration issues that the majority of users will never see.

I do still use IE under Windows, but anyone who throws out that bug figure is simply spreading bad information.

Old 06-27-02, 04:03 PM
What ejones said is incorrect though... popup ads can definitely come from something other than the page in question. It may not be from the web browser, persay, but if you have malware it doesn't have to be from the page.

Maybe I should have been more specific.......Maybe the popup is not actually embedded in the page, but is pointed to by a cookie that only activates when a user at the box with the cookie visits THAT PARTICULAR PAGE. Either way I stand by my statement that there is no way it is the fault of the browser - Other than the user choosing to allow cookies.

Old 06-28-02, 04:27 AM
I agree with ejones on it not being the browser. I'm connected to the internet at all times, but when working in a browser offline, or viewing content on my computer through the browser I don't get the pop up ads. Only when I hit certain sites, or leave sites. Those are the ones that amaze me. I can close out the browser or leave a site and that site will pop itself up in another browser in ad form. Amazes what extents these site owners and advertisers will go to just to keep themselves in your face. I wouldn't purchase anything they had to offer even if it was the only place to get it just because of that fact.

-Kay

Old 06-28-02, 07:07 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
someone else on this forum recommended pop-up stopper from http://www.panicware.com.

i've installed it on several machines, and it works GREAT!!

there's a free version, but the "pro" version (for around $20 i think) is a little better.

Search this Thread