Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

popup killers

07-01-02, 09:43 AM   #1  
popup killers

Why is it that every time I install a popup ad killer I start having problems with my IExplorer? I had one called PopUpKiller and my machine went haywire over time. I went to the site to get help on it, and they had pulled it from the market for that exact reason. I installed PopUp Ad Filter this time. Now my machine is doing the same thing. Is it conflicting with the firewall? My virus protection? I followed Tom's advice in another post regarding now uninstalling it (his was a firewall) only disabling it in msconfig. I am running a little better now.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have already been having problems with Iexplore slowing down tremendously and after cleaning up my hard drive from the files it creates, and downloading the newest patch...it helped a little but didn't fix these other problems.

The main problem is that when the popup killer is running it is almost as though it can't decide if it is a popup ad, or just a browser window I've opened. Even acts this way when I'm working offline. Now that I've disabled it, I haven't had those problems. I also reinstalled IExplorer to hopefully override the integration. I'm not sure how that works, so it may have fruitless to do that.

-Kay

Sponsored Links

WI

07-01-02, 02:10 PM   #2  
Most popup stoppers only allow you to "open" the first window. All others, including any additional you want to open are prevented by the software you installed. (popup stopper, etc) Thats the intent of the software. Prevention of "any" new windows. If you want more windows open you have to disable the software first. popup stopper is easy. dbl click on the icon in the sys tray turns it on or off.

Brian

07-01-02, 02:10 PM   #3  
Want to know my secret???

I don't install any of that junk, therefore never exposing any of my computers or other peoples computers I work on. If anything, I remove that stuff to fix problems.
I have found it tempting to try that stuff, but I know in the back of my mind, it takes many hours to redo a computer system and get it back to near setup how it was, often times more that a day, especially if not a recently new machine.

gj
I have read about these popup killing programs in probably family pc Or pcMagIzine. No one program was best I recall, each caused some issue at some point in time during testing. By removing the option for scripts to do something, it renders "good" stuff useless to.
Just like the noisy refrigerator, yeah, I unpluged it and it stopped making the noise! Next day: all of the food is spoiled!

07-01-02, 02:14 PM   #4  
I run a small application called "pop-up stopper". I like it and have had no problems with it.

If I want to open a new window I just push control or shift when I click on the link to open it in a new window.

I think I got it from zdnet or something like that. Just do a search for pop-up stopper.

WI

07-01-02, 03:33 PM   #5  
Even a brand new scratch built machine with nothing but an operating system and IE is subject to POP UP ADVERTIZING. I have been to a few sites that launch so many screens that I have to yank the power cord to get em to stop. They pop up so dang fast you cant disconnect from the internet because the new windows keep overriding any other screen you attempt to open, or even the start menu to shut down.

Brian

07-01-02, 05:15 PM   #6  
If I uninstall this thing will it mess up my machine? I have the worst time with this thing to begin with. I disabled through msconfig, should I just leave it there?

kay

WI

07-01-02, 07:14 PM   #7  
Using the MS uninstaller you should be fine.

Brian

07-01-02, 07:51 PM   #8  
Thanks, am going to get rid of it.

kay

Visiting Guest

07-02-02, 04:46 AM   #9  
arthropod98
i agree with "Jason R" -- pop-up stopper pro, which you can get at http://www.panicware.com.

i wish i could give credit to the person that found that (was on this forum), but i can't remember the name. i installed it at home and work, and it works GREAT . . . i highly recommend it!!

Visiting Guest

07-02-02, 07:55 AM   #10  
bigmike
Pop ups...

The best pop up killer I have found to date is from a guy that calls his site "AnalogX" This guy writes some really nice programming for free and it all works from my experience, without a hitch. www.analogx.com and you are looking for "POW" pop up stopper. You completely control what gets killed. No automatic selection. You will get hit with pop ups for a bit after install but after a few days of killing the pop ups you get will notice that all of a sudden you aren't seeing any. It too can upset IE if you kill the wrong window as is happening by your auto killer. But I have not had what I would call a serious problem, maybe I killed the wrong window, just go into the extremely easy control panel of "POW" and remove the page from the list that you shouldn't have killed. It's a small unobtrusive program and really deserves a look. There are only a few really active pop up generators out here and once you get them ID'd and locked out it is actually pleasent to surf.

07-02-02, 10:15 AM   #11  
thanks bigmike, I will definitely check into that one. sometimes you need those windows that popup, especially when they are designed to do that when you click to get more info (ie: fedex & ups shipping info; definitions of terms, etc.). i can't always remember to hold this key or that one when clicking on a link.

the one program that i had installed last year, also allowed you to determine how many browsers could be open at one time. this eliminated the possibility of total shut down due to 500+ browsers popping up. this prog, however, was pulled since it did eventually corrupt your IE. apparently the developer just washed his hands of it since he couldn't find/fix the bugs. it was freeware, so i can't say that i blame him. i believe the name was PopUp Killer.

i figure that the PopUp Killer was the cause of having to reinstall windows and IE. my reasoning being that after reformatting, & the re-installing windows i went to the download site to download/install it and found that it had been pulled. the reasons: everything i had experienced on my system before re-installing windows.

-kay

Visiting Guest

07-02-02, 11:05 AM   #12  
bigmike
POW

The thing with “POW” is that you have total control over the popup. But you may want to write down the name of the page you are going to kill if you have a question about it’s possible use under Windoze. The thing I didn’t like about the automatic popup killers is that they obviously kill pages that do not need to be killed and then you are SOL. Hopefully you can find the page and restore it. Pow also does not go into the start up. I created a short cut to it on the task bar, if you are surfing and it interferes with a window just turn it off. You can of course create your own shortcut to it in the startup file if you want. Anyway it’s a cool little tool, Kay you know I don’t recommend 2ond party software to do things that Windoze is built to do so when I run across the occasional tool that actually, god forbid, work then I will pass it around. By the way Pow is free, he also has a little program called “Net Stat Live” that monitors your connection speed, no ads, unobtrusive and best of all FREE…

Visiting Guest

07-02-02, 06:19 PM   #13  
DTAces
Ive been using POW for about 1.5 yrs now and have NEVER had a problem w/ it. I have 2814 pop-up windows that I never have to worry about ever again. Its a great program and I would recommend d/ling it. The only problem is if you accidentally add a window that you hsouldnt have. They have covered that though. You can actually pause the program so it stops working, find the window you shouldnt have added, delete it from the list, and then unpause the program. Its amazing!

Search this Thread