Celeron?

Old 07-03-02, 07:50 PM
Celeron?

What does celeron mean? i have a intel celeron processor.

-Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-02, 08:08 PM
BSB
Celeron is just a name. However celeron cpu's are the budget line of pentium chips. Kinda like Duron is the budget line cpu for amd Athlon chips. They're good chips, just not quite as good as the "big brother".

Brian

Old 07-03-02, 08:13 PM
so i can say that i have an intel chip with a celeron processor? more than likely i am pentium 1? how do i find this out? was wanting to upgrade from 98 to ME, but probably should stick with where i am since i don't have a really good machine to begin with.

kay

Old 07-04-02, 08:30 AM
Celron chips move up along with Pentiums so that a celeron 700 is only slightly slower than a PentiumIII 700. Still they both have the same basic technology and use the same motherboards and same motherboard slots. The big thing is that Celrons do not deal with 3D graphics or really high end computations as well as Pentiums. However, running at 256 color and doing word processing they run a little faster than the pentiums. I don't think there'll be a problem moving to ME but why? Might as well go with XP if your going to move up. ME is already of Microsofts radar screen for support and upgrades.

Old 07-04-02, 10:32 AM
I will check into XP. I think it would suit me better than 98. I am trying to learn about computers, not enough to qualify me to be a tech, but enough that I'm not just dangerous. I also try to keep up with my data entry/word processing/accounting skills...you never know when I may need to go back to work. I can't purchase all the softwares involved, however, keeping up with current operating systems is also very important.

As fascinated as I am with computers and how they work, maybe I should change fields. I'm sure computers are as eye-blurring, headache inducing and frustrating as crunching numbers and words, but at least I would be doing something I like in the process. Probably worse since its is nothing but code, tags, and numbers.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just thot that maybe I was too behind the 'times' as far as my machine. When I bought my first 286, within a year they jumped to 486, then....all so quickly. Had this one 3 years and figured it was already obsolete.

-Kay

Old 07-04-02, 12:12 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Celeron is the baby brother to the Pentium 2 and Pentium 3.

If you cannot afford a commercial office package,
there are many free ones on the net.

Old 07-04-02, 01:04 PM
i do that occassionally, read a lot of reviews, articles, etc. and i also purchase the older programs when the new ones come out...i can usually afford them then. i may be a step or two behind, but too far.

-Kay

Old 07-05-02, 06:42 AM
olalde2000
Visiting Guest
Upgrading to XP poses soooooooo many hardware and software compatibility problems..

XP is great but not as an upgrade on an older (2yr) machine.

I have W98, Compaq 7998, 1G Athelon, 512ram (18m old). Upgraded and had tons of problems. Formatted and did a full install, still had tons of problems.

Now I am back to 98 and love it. Actually, just to practice and familiarize myself with XP-since I already forked out money to purchase it, I set up my system dual boot... but rarely boot to XP because of the problems... XP drivers are not available for all the old hardware, and some software has to be totally replaced such as for my CDRW and DVD.

Old 07-05-02, 10:11 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool 2000

If you want to escape a lot of problems go to Win 2000. So far has been the best OS I have ever installed. You are going to have some problems with older hardware especially if it's not branded. If it's brand X then you are going to play games finding software/drivers. The only thing I would call a problem in these few months of 2000 is that some of my older games like Tomb Raider 4 wouldn’t run because there is no DOS. And the maintenance software for my Okipage 4W laser printer are not available. As long as the program is 32 bit it will run under 2k. Speed and reliability has so far been impeccable. Running at 933 Mhz w/512 Megs of PC133 thru an Epox w/RAID MB.

Old 07-05-02, 10:51 AM
So far I haven't had any troubles with XP on either of my machines. They both installed on the first try, either upgrade (from Win2000 and ME), or clean install. They are pretty much rock stable, and it found all of my hardware on the first try. My machines are a bit older then 1 year (Athlon 1G and Celeron 533). Of course the Atlon runs faster, but the Celeron machine is pretty fast too. Some times I believe it's faster then when it had ME loaded. I especially love the booting time, when I had 2000 installed it will take almost 1 minute to boot. No I'm up and runing in about 20 seconds. This is a cold boot. I should say though, I'm the type that hates having anything loaded in the startup unless it's absolutely necessary. Older machines that have a ISA bus should not run XP unless they have PCI hardware to replalce it. Also, anything less then 128 Mb of RAM is a no. Basically, if you're running about 500 or so Mhz (no AMD K6), and have the RAM and you're "all PCI" you should be in business. Of course, if you love having to reboot your system a few times a day due to freezing/crashing problems then by all means stay with 98/ME My PC is running 24 hours a day, and I usually reboot it once a week. My 98 machine at work with carefully selected programs/hardware has to be rebooted at least once every day. Win2000 is also good, but XP is cheaper for most people. The only thing I don't like it that you have to have Adaptec 5, earlier versions won't work for some reason. I switched to Nero because of that... it's cheaper then buying version 5.

Old 07-05-02, 11:00 AM
how do i find out my mhz? used to know, but it escapes me today.

i am running an emachine so i'm hesitant to upgrade to anything but another system. i usually keep my machine up 24/7, however, lately have been rebooting several times a week. some of this due to installs, others due to lockups.

-kay