system locking up constantly

Old 07-06-02, 06:05 AM
Ginapulver
Visiting Guest
system locking up constantly

Hello, my OS is win 98. recently I have been having repeated lock ups while online. Also, while my kids are playing a game off line the same thing happens. When this occurs, ctrl alt delete does not work, sometimes the power button does not shut off and i have to shut off using the switch on surge protector. I have uninstalled all the junk that was on here, have dumped tem files, cookies, etc. still happening. It was suggested that I try to install IE v6 but while doing so the same thing happens. It was also suggested that I try to upgrade to Windows ME, any suggestions. Reformat?????

Thanks!

Old 07-06-02, 11:37 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you have taken all the logical steps. If it has been more than a year since your last re-format, I would save, slick, and re-load the OS. I would recommend going to ME at least. If your system can handle it, even up to XP.

Old 07-06-02, 11:37 AM
olalde2000
Visiting Guest
Adjust color setting and/or resolution settings through the control panel... will probably resolve the problem. May need to verify you are using the correct driver.

Some video cards cannot handle the ActiveX's of some of the games. The game loads and changes windows files. Uninstalling the game, etc. doesn't necessarily correct the problem..

You say it happens on and offline- don't look to your browser.

The most simple things are the most confusing... we tend to look for the most complicated.

Patience is a virtue.

Old 07-06-02, 07:07 PM
jeherrin
Visiting Guest
Gina,
The first place I would start to look at the problem is to determine if there is something in common at the time the lockup happens. With the nature of computers, there are a million possiblities that may cause this problem and it helps to narrow it down.
Start asking yourself "Does it happen only when I am using a particular program (IE for example)" or "Does it happen when the computer usually makes a sound" etc...
Some PC's exhibit problems when running sounds, or maybe video intensive applications or websites. These symptoms can lead you to the real problem. For instance, if you find that during video intensive games, or webpages the computer locks. I would look towards the video hardware or drivers. I classic example of a video failure would be a lockup during a game using graphics, or after using the PC for a few hours. Often the video card fan can go and the card overheats causing lockups. Cooling in the PC is a real concern believe it or not. Since todays PC's run at such high speeds. Now, I'm not saying that that's your problem. But more of helping you pin point what your problem is. If after watching closely you find something in common with the trouble. Post it and we can head from there.

Old 07-06-02, 08:07 PM
Ginapulver
Visiting Guest
Steps to reformat computer

Could you please post the steps to reformat a hard drive?

Thanks,
Gina

Old 07-06-02, 08:11 PM
Ginapulver
Visiting Guest
.DLL FILE, IDLE.DLL NOT FOUND ERROR

What does this error mean? I've noticed it since I've been having so much trouble locking up. What do I need to do?

Thanks,
Gina

Old 07-07-02, 06:05 AM
jeherrin
Visiting Guest
Gina,
That is a Windows system dll file. It's possible it was deleted or corrupted somehow. You should be able to do a search on google.com and find a replacment file. Make sure it's from the right version of windows (95, 98, 98SE, ME)

Old 08-13-02, 05:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No computer guru

I had a similar problem with my 6 month old HP. Started locking up after being on for 30 minutes, then increased frequency until it'd lock up after 2-3 minutes. I had started keeping a log after the 1st few locksups so I had a fairly complete record. HP ended up replacing the harddrive. I'd suggest you back up on a regular basis until you resolve the problem.

Old 08-13-02, 07:17 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Formating...

I do suggest a rebuild and upgrade if you can. If the CPU is a 400 MHz or better and you have at least 128 Megs of PC 100 DIMM memory I would go buy ME. If you have a P2/K6 or above then 2000 or XP…

Use your 98 boot floppy, boot to the {A:\>} prompt Without CD support. At the {A:/_} prompt type {/MBR} *All of this is without the brackets, “” etc.* and hit <Enter>. This resets the master boot record. Back at the {A:/_} prompt type “fdisk” hit <Enter>. When it asks if you want to turn on LBA say Yes. Next at the {A:/fdisk_} type “format c:” <Enter>. Next type “Y” for Yes that you want to delete all files on drive. After it formats and asks for a name either hit enter for none or give it a name like “Primary” as I do. Shut down, re-boot with the floppy still in the drive. When text comes up, select “Install with CD ROM support” (Selection #3 I believe). Computer loads CD drivers, at the {A:\_} prompt type “D:\setup” <Enter> *”D” being the CD ROM. If you have a partition it may be “E”* and Win 98/ME will clean install. You really should partition the drive but if you have a CD burner there is really no reason to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: