Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

just curious

07-07-02, 05:45 AM   #1  
just curious

yesterday fixed my sisters computer total refomat and reinstall windoze me.i rewrote drive to zeros my question is,did that completly remove everything on the drive and disk or is it still there somewhere?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-07-02, 06:10 AM   #2  
jeherrin
Well, the quick answer is that it is gone. You wrote over everything except the MBR (which controls booting and file allocation). Now often the MBR is something that you don't need to mess with unless of course you have a virus in there.
The long answer is no: The reason is that it is POSSIBLE, but unlikely to recover data from a drive that has been overwritten with 00's. It's a time intensive process and you need major $$ for the programs required. The only real way to completely eliminate what ever was on the drive to nothingness you would need to overwrite with 00's and 11's about 8 times. But for now... it's gone to %99.9 of computer users.

07-07-02, 07:43 AM   #3  
thanks, like i said was just wondering.So if i were to sell my computer or whatever that would be the way to clean it up correct?

Search this Thread