Backing up data to a CD

Old 07-07-02, 09:44 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Backing up data to a CD

What's the best way to do this?

I have Nero burning software, and I'm able to copy data files (such as Word documents) to a CD, but each time I back up I have to re-copy ALL of the files (including the previously-saved docs).

Can Nero do an incremental backup, whereas it recognizes that some files have already been saved?

How do you all do your backups?

Thanks,

Jon

Old 07-07-02, 12:41 PM
M
Generally, the free software that comes with a CD burner like Nero or Roxio isn't designed for backups. You can check their web sites to see if there is an upgrade for this.

What you are looking for is software that does incremental backups and that can use a multisession CD or a direct write CDRW (Roxio term) as the backup media. If you're only doing one computer you might want to check out http://www.arkeia.com/ which has a free version for a small network or individual machine.

Old 07-07-02, 12:42 PM
M
Opps, Arkeia free only works with Linux. Sorry.

Old 07-07-02, 06:09 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Nero...

The registered version of Nero lets to do incremental burning or what they call “Multi session” burning. But even then it will not look to the previously burnt data and say well I already burnt that so don’t need to again. Each time you backup the picture is different so it will burn all data again. Multi session is just so you don’t waste a whole CD for 50 megs of data.

Old 07-08-02, 09:46 AM
T
You could simply use the MS Backup that comes with Windows, and back to a CDRW disk. I've never used Nero, but it works perfectly with DirectCD. All you need to do is make sure you have a formatted CDRW disk in, start Backup, select what you need, the type of backup, select the CDRW drive, and click start. It will do incremental backups. That's what I used to do before I realized that a second hard drive is faster

Old 07-08-02, 07:30 PM
how do you tell MS to look for the cdrw as the backup destination? my system wants to look for the a drive, only.

kay

Old 07-09-02, 08:53 PM
T
It should not look for the A drive only, it should look for any drive. There is a setting to choose the destination.

Old 07-10-02, 12:11 AM
okay, now i see. at first it said that i didn't have a backup drive installed, but if i did to run new hardware wizard. i clicked 'no' this time and it went on to the screen where i could determine the drive and file name. i've just done incrementals with nero, backing up only what i thought was important. very tedious process. now i can set it up on backup, then choose only the update/changed files.

thanks!

kay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: