virus protection software opinions

Old 07-20-02, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow virus protection software opinions

I am running Panda antivirus right now. I used eSafe desktop for a long time, no virus problems, however I couldn't get it configured on the firewall correctly and it caused problems with my machine. I also use ZoneAlarm, which was part of the conflicts later even after disabling the firewall capabilities in eSafe. They are expensive (in my eyes, especially if they're not good or cause problems) so before I actually purchase another one I would like to know that it has wonderful user-end responses. I'm running out on my 30-day trial on this software so I need to make a decision soon.

I hear of conflicts, installation problems, etc. How do you decide what is best for your system, and your usage of your system?

Thanks,

Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-02, 07:27 PM
W
All the computer nerd magazines test firewalls every year. The usual winner???......................Panda.

If you have Panda and Zone Alarm, you are all good.

Of course, you may also take the additional precaution of disabling Visual Basic. You can do that by following the instructions here. By diabling VB, you stop 99% of all email viruses and their ability to send themselves to everyone in your address book. There are some that will contradict my disable VB advice, but my computer has been virus free for 3 years. How??? NO virus software, VB disabled, Zone Alarm, and high level of awareness. I opened the Melissa, Code Red, and many other viruses with no problem.........why???? Because I could with no ill effects! Don't try this at home, this is only for the brave at heart!

Old 07-20-02, 07:32 PM
if i remove visual basic, what is going to be different on my computer? anything that i might run into as far as a program not running or a website not loading?

kay

Old 07-21-02, 01:23 AM
I agree that uninstalling WSH removes a portion of Outlooks email threats. But, I disagree that it must be uninstalled to accomplish the task or that removing WSH alone is enough.

For example, changing the filename extension of WSH disables it. File type associations for .VBS can be modified to enforce default behavior also. Both are simple methods, and neither involves uninstallation of WSH. Neglecting to disable cscript allows certain scripts to run.

Proclaiming virus free operation, [even for email viruses alone], because WSH was uninstalled is bold. Scope of the threat: http://www.viruslist.com/eng/viruslist.asp WSH barely scratches the surface.

Basic security information (from "who else"): http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/assess.asp Note "backup" and "maintenance". Since the threat cannot be eliminated, and because Windows is the least securable of Operating Systems, try following the recommendations of the people who wrote it.

[Side note]: Mircosoft is in the process of designing a remote procedure call system that bypasses known firewalls. Third parties will not stand in Microsofts way.

ISCA Lab may be of interest:
http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communi...us/index.shtml

Old 07-21-02, 07:07 AM
I want to continue to run virus protection, but was wanting to know what kind of problems users were having with the one's they had selected, not base my choice on an article. I read both things and bad things in these articles, however, I was hoping to hear from some "real" people and their experiences. An article can't tell me how they got around this or that particular configuration.

Maybe I need to base it on what type programs I run, the amount of memory and the O/s I use. I have an older machine, I believe a Pentium 1, only 4 gig hard drive-which is only half full, Win98se, IE6, and use notepad as my HTML editor. Sometimes using 1st Page when I'm testing out a new page for my website. I am online constantly (cable connection), so I feel that I need protection. I rarely close out my mail program (OE), and my girls forget to close out that AIM messenger thing so its even more important to have protection.

I visit MSUpdate various times during a month to update my system as well as IE & OE. I do keep the cookies/history/temp files (both sets) cleaned off, and defrag on a reg basis

I get a lot of emails during the day, very few attachments. Some from these forums (notifications of postings), but most comes from a reminder service (I am unorganized, misplacing my dayplanner on a regular basis).

I use both Zone Alarm (firewall) and Panda (virus protection). I either need to purchase Panda or get it off my machine. I didn't want to purchase it if there was a different type virus protection program that might be better suited for my needs. I would also like to use a program that maybe someone on the forums could help me configure correctly. I manage to cause conflicts here, there and "yonder" when I try to do it myself. So far with Panda I haven't had any problems.

2000, I will read the links that you posted, however, sometimes I don't understand what they are explaining to me, or how it applies to me so I hope that you, and others, can explain it to me if I post back with more questions. I have become quite dependent upon my computer over the last few years and realize how important it is for me to protect myself and my system. Although I'm still a novice on the computer, I would prefer that status over being an "idiot" on the computer .

Kay

Old 07-21-02, 06:18 PM
throught the second link i discovered a cartoon featuring Shaq explaining internet safety to kids. my kids will sit and watch that one whether they want to or not.

i worry a lot about virus' because of
1) they don't discriminate.
2) my kids (15yrold) receives pics from people she meets in chat rooms (caught her doing this at 3 a.m. this morning while we were asleep). #2 involves personal safety as well, but will address that issue with her.
3) i cause enough problems with my system without help from anyone else!

the first link was amazing. i knew that there were a lot of virus' out there, however, i did not realize how they worked. i reviewed the articles on the kletz virus and that was amazing. also click around and discovered that, just as i use web page building programs, so do virus creators (not web page building progs, but virus construction sets. great, they take away LincolnLogs and give them virus tainted lego sets.

the last link showed me which programs (anti viral) are certified by a particular place ... name escapes me.... but both the different software companies i've used are listed.

Thanks again 2000 for the links.

Kay

Old 07-21-02, 08:18 PM
If your machine perform flawlessly, given the current configuration and software, with X brand of virus software installed the baseline question is answered.

The standard Microsoft knowledge base resolution line when virus software conflicts with other software: contact the vendor. Getting around a configuration issue generally involves reverting to a former state, disabling virus software while performing some function, or updating, changing, and possibly abandoning virus software.

When my neighbor had cable installed he was flatly told use Mcafee. My brother recently switched to Norton because Mcafee interfered with his simulation software. I have an older machine with non Plug n' play hardware and Windows 95 installed that refuses to run with virus software installed. I quit trying to figure out why. Trend Micros' PC-cillin seems to work well on this machine, at least for the current configuration.

Among other things, ISAC certifies virus software and vendors by platform. In addition to well founded general advice Microsofts' security pages provide links to select premier Windows certified virus software vendors. Neither one recommends specific brands or versions, because both are aware that all inclusive virus software solutions do not exist. The virus encyclopedia includes factual information about viruses and methods verses after the fact consumer ratings of virus software.

Old 07-21-02, 08:42 PM
I've only used eSafe desktop and now the Panda. So far with Panda, no problems. I had some conflicts with eSafe so opted to try the Panda. I like that I can update Panda on a daily basis. With eSafe, it was only available monthly. Usually its not necessary with Panda, but I also get reports in my email of what new virus' are out there, and what the traits are. So far I like it.

Do the others offer regular updates like the Panda (daily, weekly?). I went ahead and purchased Panda. It wasn't too expensive. I didn't want to go against the agreement when I installed the demo version. I'm no goody-two-shoes by any means, just have the upmost respect for those who can combat these virus' etc., and those who deal with computers on a regular basis.

My instructor in school compared auto mechanics to being a doctor in reverse (patients stay the same, diseases change/cars change daily, problems the same). I also feel that is true even moreso for computer programmers, techs, and designers.

Thanks again for all the information. I may move up from 'idiot' state to novice before too long

Kay

Old 07-21-02, 08:56 PM
I don't know if all virus software vendors offer auto updates, but I know that Norton and Trend Micro do. That probably applies to Macfee and the other premier Windows certified vendors.

Old 07-21-02, 09:20 PM
Thanks!

Kay