Overhung Patio

Old 07-29-02, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Overhung Patio

I am putting in a back porch/patio. I am coving the porch by extending a gable from the exisiting roof. Because it is overhung it will be supported on 2 6x6 posts. What is the best way to position the footings/sonotube and post base so that they will be in the correct position?

Any help,

abkent

Old 07-29-02, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Overhung Patio

abkent,

Your question seems to be missing some information but let's go with this.

Since you seem to be unsure as to where exactly the footings will be placed, you must first establish the size of the porch covering. When you know this, I have attached a site that would provide some insight to the how-to.

They show traditional post footings with the use of a pier block. I am not into this due to appearance. Based upon the height of the finished decking that will be used, (you didn't mention if this was to be at grade level or raised) that you have options.

In areas that need frost footings, I have used 1 bag of concrete per hole, let it set for a couple of days. Install my posts resting atop the concrete and filling the hole with p-gravel. You have an option to fill this to grade or leave it 2 - 4 inches below grade to plant grass seed. As you can tell this provides some excellent finished look when it is all done. If it is to grade, this eliminates weeds growing next to the post.

http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projects/decks.htm

Hope this helps you out!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: