Deck to support spa

Old 08-03-02, 09:44 AM
medmikes
Visiting Guest
Deck to support spa

I am considering building my own low level deck to support my 8 person spa. What should I investigate first before I start building and where am I able to obtain plans to build it?

Old 08-03-02, 07:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deck to support spa?

medmikes,

With a spa this size and you mention it is to be a low level deck, I would highly recommend the spa being located on a corner (outside edge) so you have access to the pump. It would be a good idea to have the spa resting on a concrete slab and the deck framed around it. If you desire to have the spa on the deck, you will have to consider the weight of the spa and if you didn't know it, you are looking at 62 lbs. per cubic foot of weight!

Obviously the deck floor should be at a level whereby it is not flush with the spa lid, (we don't want anyone falling in by accident) so alternative planning should be considered.

I really don't have a good recommendation for plans, other than myself, but you may want to consider Home Depot for some good plan/idea books. This structure must be built to sustain the weight and be done with safety in mind.

If you need help, e-mail me.

Old 08-04-02, 12:17 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Old 08-04-02, 08:24 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
Most spas require 90 psf framing. Check out a few span tables or post your dimensions or set it on a slab. Slab is the easiest by far.

Hope this helps--Josh

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: