Waterproofing deck

Old 08-03-02, 10:59 AM
normls4
Visiting Guest
Waterproofing deck

I have just completed my deck. Used pressure treated lumber. I was ready to waterproof when a friend, who is a painter by trade, said I should wait and give the deck a year to season before waterproofing. Wondering if there is any truth to his statement, or should I find another painter friend (just kidding)?

Don

Old 08-03-02, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Don,

If you wait a year, your deck will look like it's three years old and need a complete cleaning. Today's oil based stains are made to be applied almost as soon as a deck is completed. Give your deck about three weeks to dry - then stain it. I suggest using a toned stain for more uv protection than a clear coat.

fred

PS - If your painter friend advised to use Thompsons, then it is time to find a new consultant!

Old 08-03-02, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood Deck Sealing

normls4,

Fewalt is giving you a good answer and I have yet to get the same recommendation from two different people. What's worse, there is a considerable amount of questionable information being distributed. It turns out that many traditional wood deck cleaning and sealing products and methods might not be best for your new wood deck investment.

Unprotected wood is immediately attacked as soon as it is exposed to the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays and water from snow, rainfall, and dew. The UV rays actually blast apart the wood cells on a microscopic level. This damage permits water to penetrate deep into the wood. This water can accelerate wood rot in untreated lumbers such as cedar and redwood. In addition, repeated water soakings lead to excessive shrink and swell cycles that result in cracking, cupping, and twisting.

For these reasons, it is necessary for you to quickly seal any wood product that is exposed to outdoor elements. I would recommend a Flood product;

http://www.floodco.com/brandnewdeck.cfm

Hope this helps you out!

Old 08-03-02, 09:57 PM
normls4
Visiting Guest
Thank you both for the reply. That is what I thought. Believe I'll keep him painting on the inside of the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: