Deck sanding question

Old 08-07-02, 04:44 PM
Zacharooni
Visiting Guest
Question Deck sanding question

Well I finally bought my first house and now attempting my first deck project. The deck was stained than painted over with a red paint. It looks like they power washed it since the red looked brutal but only half of the red paint has been removed. I began sanding with my palm sander in one of the corners and while I dont seem to have much trouble getting through the red paint the layer after is stopping me dead in my tracks. I am unclear if I have hit the stain or the water sealer but it is almost like there is a wax coting on the wood. Everytime I try to sand through this layer I have to stop after 10 seconds cause off the (waxy) substance covers the grit on the sandpaper. Hence I am sitting there with a puddy knife trying to scrape this stuff off the sandpaper all day. Am I doing something wrong? Is there any way around this? I am almost at the point of not trying to go through this and just putting a clear finish over it but the wood has almost a grey tint which I am not too happy about. Went to Home Depot and asked them but that was a big waste of time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Old 08-07-02, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck refinishing

Zacharooni,

I hope the sites listed below will help you. I assume with the use of a good paint stripper that also would remove the coating of the stain/sealer is in order. You may have to rent a power washer to ease in the removal. See what you think of these 2 sites and if needed, contact your local paint store for better information.

http://www.mfgsealants.com/CleanersA...eStripper.html

http://www.paintremoval.com/

Since you saw gray, you may have to restain and seal after but you'll be able to do that based on your preferences.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-07-02, 05:41 PM
Zacharooni
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply Doug at least I know where to start. Do you think that I need to still sand through to the waxy layer or should I just put it on the leftover red paint too? Wow this is exciting I have always wanted to be a stripper :-)

Old 08-07-02, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck sanding question

Zacharooni,

OK, now I'm really worried!!! First rule of thumb when working outdoors and you have neighbors...KEEP YOUR CLOTHES ON.

Based on what I read and past experience, which I might add is not alot in regards to stripping paint, the products I mentioned can be used over paint and sealers. The power washer will make the removal of all this much easier and eliminate the need for sanding, or shall I say, virtually minimize it.

If you'd like, repost your question under the Decorate forum in the painting section as well for possibly more information than I could give but I think my directions on my previous post might just get you all the answers you need without breaking your back.

Let us know how it's going!

Old 08-08-02, 01:36 PM
rc101
Visiting Guest
Zacharooni,

If your gonna strip.....do it right. (And wear protective clothing!) Flood's Pro Stripper/Cleaner will remove any stain - new or old. No need to sand. .http://floodco.com

What kind of wood is the deck made of? Cedar and redwood can react to the sodium hydroxide in these type products.

rc

Old 08-08-02, 06:52 PM
Zacharooni
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the Reply everyone

I might try and assault this thing this weekend but I am going to try it on a little spot first to see what I am in for. At least it will give me a nice clean area to attach a brass pole :-) Thanks for all the advice I am sure I will be back to report phase 2......

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: