6x6 post spacing

Old 08-15-02, 08:11 PM
jjs
Visiting Guest
6x6 post spacing

Over a 20 ft 8 " span, would it be ok to just use 3- 6x6 posts. I was going to come in 16"s on the ends and set 2 posts, leaving me with the center post about 9 ft centered from the side posts. I am going to knotch the posts and run 2x8's on each side of the posts for my beam, and and use 2x8's for my floor joists. Is this ok, or should I use 4- 6x6's? Also, how far is it safe to run my floor joists past the beam, is a 16" overhang to much or not enough?

Old 08-15-02, 09:56 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
You are missing some vital information. Namely the tributary area of the beam (area of load) and floor loading/use. You may get a link to a span calculator web site, however structural engineering should be left to a professional.

Old 08-17-02, 11:30 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
this is just a matter of opinion but notching joists into a post to make a beam is

A a ton of work
B not the strongest way to go

Id personally recommend you simply build a 2x and 1/2 cdx laminated beam directly over top the 4x4s and use a cap to secure the whole thing. with the deck loaded its not going anywhere. you can also use hurricane ties on all joists to the beam if you have a high deck or concerns about movement. my .02 youre doing it the hard way for no gain. -Josh

Old 08-17-02, 11:33 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
PS 2 feet is the max cantilever now a days so 16" is Aok. -Josh

PPS im no engineer.. but id build the beam out of 3-2x10s if youre spanning 9 feet. with 1.2 cdx between the joists and then use 4x6 or 6x6 for the posts. most deck loading is 50 psf i believe unless your doing a hot tub. not rocket science.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: