how long to wait to tile / paint / stain?

Old 08-18-02, 05:38 PM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
how long to wait to tile / paint / stain?

i just finished building the form for an outside bar on our deck, and i used pressure treated lumber. what i'm wondering is when i can complete the project with a nice plywood, wonderboard, tile top, and then paint or stain it??

i'm worried that the wood might shrink and cause the tile to come loose. also, i've heard that i need to wait up to a YEAR to paint / stain it . . . is this true??

thanks -- this is my first time working with pressure treated wood, and i want this project to turn out well -- so far so good!!

Old 08-18-02, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
arthropod98,

If you use exterior grade ply it will be stable and your CEMENT backer board and tile can be appied immediately. If you go with pt plywood it may be kiln dried and ready to go. It can be stained as soon as the project is completed. Painting could be a problem down the raod as it may peel on you in a few years. Staining would be safer.

fred

Old 08-19-02, 10:50 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
thanks for the response, but you lost me with "pt plywood"?? sorry, i'm just not good with all the terminology.

i've got some 5/8" plywood sheets (UNtreated) that i was going to use for the top. now, if i put a few coats of exterior grade poly. on those, will that keep them from warping and falling apart after a few years, or should i just go ahead and buy new pressure treated plywood??

i was trying to use up some large scrapwood in the garage, so that's why i wasn't running out to buy pressure treated.

thanks in advance for any more info!

Old 08-19-02, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
arthropod98,
The PT ply is pressure treated plywod. If you have plywood already, make sure it is exterior grade - this way the glue will be waterproof. If you can tile and seal the top before it receives any moisture you should be okay.
Marine spar urethane isn't quite what it is billed up to be. On a horizontal surface it will be peeling next spring unless it is protected from the rain and sun.
good luck,
fred

Last edited by fewalt; 08-19-02 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-20-02, 05:19 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
thanks for all the info, fewalt . . . gotta go buy some pressure treated plywood and finish this up!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: