Deck Extension Ledger Board Install

Old 08-27-02, 09:51 AM
h20frontproperty
Visiting Guest
Deck Extension Ledger Board Install

I am planning to extend my deck this weekend and have received some conflicting advice regarding the installation of the extended ledger. The existing deck ledger is connected directly to the back of the house with proper flashing as it was installed during new construction and prior to the siding. I am curious if I should/could bolt the new ledger on directly through the existing vinyl siding or if I have to remove the siding to attch the ledger. My guess is there is a right way and an easy way that may differ.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Old 08-27-02, 11:51 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would cut back the siding and do it the same way as the original installation. If you bolt it over the siding, you're bound to crush the siding and it just wouldn't look good. Vinyl siding is very user friendly when it come to removing just a piece at the time. With minimual tools needed it's real DIY friendly. Try going to the library for a book on siding. It probably has repair procedures there. Your local home center should also have books on it. Your local home center should have a product out the that aloows you to separate the pieces of siding on the wall. One comapy Malco makes a product called the SideSwiper.

Put up youe leger, flashing and decking and then reinstall the siding after taking out the area where the ledger sits. The main thing to think of with vinyl siding it that it is hung and not installed. When you renail it, resist the tempataion to solidly nail it. Vinyl siding has to be able to expand and contract, so it should be nailed so that it has the ability to move.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: