Need a bit of help with this finish...

Old 09-07-02, 09:53 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need a bit of help with this finish...

Have a lady with a one yr old PT wood deck and is stained with what looks like a semi-transparent cedar. Deck is very nice and stain is in great condition, but she is not happy with the yellowish tint. We just finished her neighbors deck and she likes the semi-transparent redwood and wants hers stripped and done in that. Where my problem comes in is she wants it to have a deep, deep shine. I've never been asked for this before and she is definitely not the type to settle for having almost what she wants. Have any of you guys ever done this? What did you use for the finish? How did it hold up? Would appreciate some voice of experience here.
Dennis

Old 09-08-02, 04:25 AM
Dennis,

As you know, the old stain would need to be stripped off.
As far as a shiney finish - there's no way to accomplish that unless you use a film type solid acrylic finish, or cover it with marine spar urethane. Personally, I would not apply either of these. They will be peeling in two years, or worse yet, by next summer. When they start peeling, they'll be a nightmare to remove.
It's up to you to sell her on a quality oil base finish with uv protection. If she insists that she wants the shiney finish, I'd tell her she needs to find another contractor.

fred
Deck-Kleen Powerwashing

Old 09-08-02, 06:56 AM
S
Fred,
I'm like you, if there is anyway to accomplish this without creating another set of problems I don't know what it is although I'm the first to admit I'm not the last word on finishes. If there is a way to accomplish this though I would love to know it.

Look at these photos I found and this is exactly what she wants.
http://community.webshots.com/album/49543103SvIRgr
I've emailed the site that built these decks and asked for assistance and maybe they will be willing to help, some folks will some won't so we'll see. At any rate if I can't find a way that will accomplish EXACTLY what she wants then rest assured this ole country boy will politely bow out. She is already on the verge of being so particular and exacting that I smell trouble anyway.
Thanks bud,
Dennis

Old 09-08-02, 08:52 AM
Dennis,
I see it, and it looks very nice - for now.
I know of nothing that will withstand the sun's uv radiaton for any length of time.
Let me know when you get a reply.

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: