Composite Deck Kits

Old 09-13-02, 01:50 PM
dre1988
Visiting Guest
Question Composite Deck Kits

Hello:

I am a new home owner and am looking to replace my current deck. I have been looking into composite deck material in lieu of wood (I live in Georgia and we have a high exposure level to termites).

I am seeking advise on composite deck materials that are relatively easy to install and a GOOD PRODUCT.

My wife remembers reading in the Good House Keeping magazine of a composite material that uses the click and lock method, unfortunately she does not remember the name of the company, nor material.

Ideally we would like to have a pre fab deck kit which utilizes the composite material. We also have the following questions.

- Are decks of composite material more expensive than wooden decks?
- Are they as sturdy wooden decks?
- What brands would you recommend? From what retailers? I live in Atlanta.
- Can installing these decks be "do it yourself" jobs? Are they snap and click?

I would appreciate advise/recommendations you may have.

Thank you for your assistance!

Old 09-13-02, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dre1988,

Even composite material is installed on pessure treated southern yellow pine. PT lumber is proessed to repel boring bugs.
There a a large number of composite deck manufacturers, more popping up every day.
You need to shop around - hit every lumber store in your area to find exactly what you like. Do some searching on the web also(google.com). Many times you can find a dealer by entering your zip code. Generally, composites are nearly twice the cost of lumber. Almost any deck material canbe a diy project.
I have compiled a list which may help:
Composite Deck Boards
WeatherBest
Trex
Fiberon
E-Z Deck
Timber-Tech (t&g)
DreamDeck
ChoiceDek
DuraWood
Kroy
Epoch