Refacing front porch

Old 09-19-02, 03:07 PM
PJ57
Visiting Guest
Refacing front porch

I have a small front porch that has been covered with outdoor carpet. I believe the concrete underneath is eroded/rough. Once I remove carpet can it be re-faced somehow? Some kind of concrete skim coat or thin pavers glued down? Any suggestions short of complete redo? It's not much more than 3'X 3' with one step. I also plan to replace the two wrought iron "posts", so the new columns would need to sit on this new surface. Thanks.

Old 09-19-02, 06:24 PM
Carol Culmer
Visiting Guest
I don't have an answer for you but we have the same problem - removed terrible old green carpet from our front porch and from the concrete steps leading up to the porch. I have been inquiring everywhere to see if there was some sort of product that would remove the glue residue and have received no answer. After you pull the carpet off you'll find there is a lot of very hard glue left. If was hoping for something that would disolve the glue - maybe paint stripper would but I haven't tried it yet. I've left it to "weather" (going on the second year now) in hopes that it would sort of disappear. It doesn't look too bad but you can tell there is something on the concrete. Maybe sanding would take it aoff? Haven't tried that either. Will be interested to see what advice there is....

Old 09-19-02, 06:26 PM
Carol Culmer
Visiting Guest
I don't have an answer for you but we have the same problem - removed terrible old green carpet from our front porch and from the concrete steps leading up to the porch. I have been inquiring everywhere to see if there was some sort of product that would remove the glue residue and have received no answer. After you pull the carpet off you'll find there is a lot of very hard glue left. I was hoping for something that would disolve the glue - maybe paint stripper would but I haven't tried it yet. I've left it to "weather" (going on the second year now) in hopes that it would sort of disappear. It doesn't look too bad but you can tell there is something on the concrete. Maybe sanding would take it off? Haven't tried that either. Will be interested to see what advice there is...

Old 09-20-02, 06:37 AM
PJ57
Visiting Guest
Carol, I know what you mean. That glue is a bear. I've tried a wire brush on an electric drill...it does get the glue off, but also scores the concrete. That's why I was wondering if after wire brushing all the glue off, there is a way to cover it over with something. Let's hope someone offers a few suggestions. Good luck.
Phil

Old 09-20-02, 11:26 AM
PJ57
Visiting Guest
Carol, FYI, I took a look around Lowe's. They have a "concrete" resurfacer from Quikrete (blue bag) that can be applied as thin as 1/8" using a standard masonry trowel. It's a little pricey ($23 a bag). The guy at Lowe's said he sells a lot, and hasn't heard any complaints..it came out about 2 years ago. Unless I get any other advice, I think I will wire brush the carpet backing/glue and then try to apply a layer of this. The guy at Lowe's said it would stick to the vertical surfaces as well. Probably won't get to it for a few weeks or so. Please let me know if you hear of any other solutions. Thanks.
Phil

Old 10-14-02, 09:30 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Concrete resurfacer

Hi just saw your post's about resurfacering your porch. My husband and I are thinking about using the Quikrete (blue bag) to do our porch, step and small sidewalk.
We are wondering if you ever did use this product to do yours? I noticed your last post was in July. I'd like to know, if you used it did it work for you? Did you have any problems with putting it down or any problems since?
Thanks for all your help. Debbie &Steve

Old 10-15-02, 07:16 AM
PJ57
Visiting Guest
Debbie and Steve, I haven't done anything yet. I had another reply on another post suggest that for my need (support two posts in addition to resurface) that the qwikcrete might not hold up. It was suggested that I look at a product from RAECO (raeco.com). Being that I'm in the snow belt, I'm going to wait until Spring. If you are able to do your project before Spring, please let me know what you used and how it worked out. Thanks.
Phil

Old 10-20-02, 06:35 PM
finnigan
Visiting Guest
re surfacing of concrete

Hi there the glue you have was in the past best removed with non other than gasoline.Yes i know this is very difficult to accomplish without causing danger.Common sense must be used.Not too much at a time.Try it in a small area let it soak a bit then remove with a scapper. Remove old gas and glue before moving on to next area. The glue cannot be sanded as it will clog any sand paper quicker than a dinkie car in the toilet! If the gas moves the glue clean the area after with tsp or laundry detergent and a scrub brush. If you are in an area that gets freezing temps the quick set mortar will freeze, spall, crack and make you angry! The best solution is too get a few free quotes from local concrete experts then determine the best step. No quick solution that I know of unfortunately. Cold temps caused the problem in the first place the concrete was trowled too much and the upper crust becomes suseptable to moisture absorbtion, then freezes and walla you have a problem.Hope this helps.

Old 10-21-02, 06:21 AM
PJ57
Visiting Guest
finnigan, thanks for the response. I'm starting to think the quotes from a few experts is in order. I'm afraid a "quick fix" will end up in a redo quickly. Appreciate your thoughts.
Phil

Old 10-21-02, 04:28 PM
MeffaDawg
Visiting Guest
I had the same carpet on my back porch when I bought my house. I ripped it up and it was a mess. I got as much adhesive up as I could then put down new plywood and tiled over the whole thing. This is an entirely enclosed porch with a step down to get in so there wasn't an issue with raising the height of the floor the thickness of the plywood and tile.

Old 10-22-02, 07:01 AM
PJ57
Visiting Guest
MeffaDawg, thanks. I've pulled up a few corners of the carpet and I think I'll be faced with the same mess. This is not an enclosed porch. I'm now considering two alternatives; redo entire porch, or perhaps cover with half bricks...I've got some room to raise the height...thanks again.
Phil

Old 10-25-02, 02:36 PM
HollyHomemaker
Visiting Guest
I live in the South (Alabama). We have the same problem. The previous owner pulled up the "carpet" on the stoop, and now it is covered with glue and is disgusting. Has anyone had a solution? I guess I'll try the gasoline idea. I want to re-paint it, but cannot paint over that mess. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: