How to replace porch support?

Old 09-21-02, 06:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to replace porch support?

We have a very small (maybe 6x6) brick front porch. More of a stoop, really. Currently it is supported by some really ugly black metal "curlicue" supports. In keeping with our ongoing improvements to this house (does it *ever* end???) we would like to replace them with the turned wooden posts such as you commonly see. However I am totally unable to figure out precisely the best way or the usual way to attach these things. One site recommended steel pins in the base which I don't see how could be retrofitted to a replacement post. I don't think it necessary (or wise!) to jack up the roof more than 1/2" or so max, just enough to get the old supports out. The only thing I've really come up with is jacking the roof, removing the old supports, placing and plumbing the new posts and using angle brackets top and bottom to "attach" the post top and bottom, then cover the brackets with a bit of trim. Will this work? What is the "normal" way of doing this?

As usual, thanks for your help, guys!

Old 09-21-02, 04:49 PM
MeffaDawg
Visiting Guest
What type of material would you be attaching your angle brackets to? I'm guessing your new posts are wood, is the porch or stoop wood also?

Old 09-21-02, 06:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Masonry. So sorry, I thought I said. Apparently that was in an earlier lifetime . Actually it *looks* like random broken tiles that have been affixed to what I assume (never good to assume, I know) is a suspended concrete slab with a concrete block perimeter foundation. Therein lies part of the problem. If it was wood I'd just toenail it or porket screw it and be done with it.

Old 09-25-02, 09:56 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
ive done this using USP 4x4 U bracket that post rests in. I put a lag shield into the concrete and lag the post base down. THen drill out the center of the 4x4 so the lag head is recessed into it. DRill oversized so you dont have to be NASA perfect as far as shifting it around.

There are probably other ( maybe better) post bases but ACE hardware only carries a few and i hate driving far to get materials.

If you want to retrofit a steel pin ( not the best option IMO) Just drill a hole around 4" deep the diameter of the head of a galv carriage bolt and then insert a 4 1/2" bolt upside down so the threads are up. Then drill a hole the diameter of the bolt and slip over as you raise the post. But a post base keeps the wood drier.

Hope this helps-Josh

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: