(Many) change of plans

Old 09-22-02, 08:56 AM
amitch02
Visiting Guest
(Many) change of plans

I got the permit, dug the holes, delivered the lumber for my 14x16 freestanding deck that was to butt against the house.

Now, I find out that the deck must be attached to the house. My plans have the 2 beams running perpendicular to the house.

I have not yet poured the concrete for my footings. Any suggestions on how I can attach the deck to the house that will also keep the inspector happy??

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-02, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building a deck

For instructions to permanently attach ledger to wall and other installation tips:
http://www.doityourself.com/deck/

We can no longer post active links on this website, but if you take the time to type in the following address, you will understand the significance of properly attaching the ledger to the wall.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/exte...212625,00.html

Old 09-22-02, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Since when does a deck "HAVE" to be attached to a house? I build 8 or 10 freestanding decks every year. In fact, if the deck is near a mobile home, it HAS to be freestanding -- it CANNOT be attached. (At least, not be attached and still meet code -- at least not in CA!)

If you have an approved set of plans to build a freestanding deck, call the inspector on it. He does not have the authority to make you change the plans to suit his desires.

Old 09-23-02, 04:54 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
A freestanding deck is the way to go, and is a structurally sound method is preferred over attaching to a ledger. Like Lefty said, call the inspector and get some code clarification.