adding small screened in porch

Old 10-03-02, 10:49 AM
Jillyoldbean
Visiting Guest

I want to add a small porch. It will be in an L shaped corner of the house. About ten feet long and out about six feet. I had planned on putter ledger board along the ten foot area and have the joists come out the six feet onto posts. My question is on the side with the posts do I put a post right up next to the house? How do I attach that one end to the house. Should I put a piece of ledger board there?
Thanks.

Old 10-03-02, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jillyoldbean ,

This is an extremely small porch, are you sure it is big enough?

You have the option to do either. Depending on what you are using for a beam (if any), size of lumber, it all makes a difference.

I personnally would go with a ledger on both, use joist hangers, double joist your outside rim and you're set. You could let the double rim act as your beam and attache just hanges to all, thus only having to make 3 holes! This is dependant on what you intend to do on exterior finishes and how high of the groud you are.

Nothing worse than making more post holes than you have to. This is keeping in mind that noone likes a bounce in the floor either! Others may have some comments but I try to minimize the work and material usage yet still abiding with the codes!

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: