Hot Tub Deck

Old 10-04-02, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new hot tub

going to build a deck around it, have to step up, cannot drop tub due to landscape. any ideas or sources for plans?

Old 10-05-02, 12:04 PM
hvac4u,

Hopefully, these links will provide some help. I thought these might help with more ideas.

Don't forget the considerations that a deck must have to support such a unit. I would highly recommend the spa being located on a corner (outside edge) so you have access to the pump. Since you desire to have the spa on the deck, you will have to consider the weight of the spa and if you didn't know it, you are looking at 62 lbs. per cubic foot of weight! As an option, I would consider adding or double up on existing joists just under the spa location, if accessible. If current spans are within reason this would be ok to sustain the load. Just to let you know, standard decks are constructed to sustain a minimum 60 PSF Live/10 PSF Dead load.

I really don't have a good recommendation for plans, other than myself, but you may want to consider Home Depot for some good plan/idea books. This structure must be built to sustain the weight and be done with safety in mind.

http://decksbyjrw.com/spa/dspgallery5.html

http://www.poolandspa.com/page620.htm

http://www.decks.com/

http://www.allamericandecksspas.com/decks.htm

http://community.webshots.com/album/34744493dQWQvF

Hope this helps, if you need help, e-mail me.

Old 10-05-02, 02:27 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
Built a second story hot tub deck last year. They require 90 psf framing.

Hope this helps-Josh

Old 10-05-02, 03:57 PM
Deck - ONE LEVEL

Josh1,

By doubling up joists, I am increasing the load by 2 times. If the current footings and beams were properly set with good soils, I doubt if we have to deal with these issues. I am suggesting that the spa be placed basically over a beam. If this cannot be done, the extra 2x stock will cover the weight. If you want exact caculations, I'll need more information from hvac4u to provide exact stats. My doubling increases load capacity to 120 PSF.

If you want to get technical, this is being added to an existing structure and modifying existing footings, posts and beams is not an option. If it were new, more standard practices would be planned into the project to handle the spa weight + water + people + material loads. As with most projects, sometimes you have to make due with what you have and modify to best suit the situation and try and meet or exceed any codes.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-05-02, 04:57 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
doug thats exactly how mine is done. The 2x8 joists rest on 3 triple 2x10 beams with 1/2 cdx cores and my patented zigzag 16 d nailing. However id like to make another one(s) with epoxy between the 2x and the cdx and see how much that stiffens it. Id bet you couldnt hurt a well epoxied beam like that

Although i thought he was building a new deck? or did i miss something? SOunds like youve got it under control.. just tossing my factuals in there -Josh

Old 10-05-02, 05:20 PM
A
Master Electrician
Donít forget hot tubs require special requirements for electrical if you have any doubt then you might want to post in electrical.

Old 10-05-02, 05:23 PM
Possibly misunderstanding...maybe?

josh,

Now you got me wondering, on one hand he says building deck around it but it has to be step up, cannot drop in due to landscaping?

I am assuming he already has the deck but now I don't know.

hvac4u, where are you - explain this to us!

Josh, this epoxy coating, why use it and how did you use it? Are all edges of wood protected? Costly and seems like an overkill, at best.

Let me know what you did, thanks.

Old 10-05-02, 05:30 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
mine required a 3 conductor 50A circuit with a service cut off box mounted to the wall of my house at the far side of the deck. This is in case of emergency and repairs i suppose? Its like a big "plug" you pull. I didnt wire it in myself, had it done but i know that the ground wire in the box doesnt goto the ground panel on mine? for some reason. On a gfci breaker. Im sure electrical can help you more. -Josh

Old 10-05-02, 05:33 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
doug,

I havent used the epoxy yet, but ive got west systems stuff which im told is decent? I will use it ( when i need a beam for something ) spread on the 1/2 ccx plywood filler between the 2xs to bond the entire structure so less flexure. As you know plywood is twice as rigid as dimensional lumber, yet im surprised how often i see beams with just 2xs and no core filler. I like to make beams lol. its probably unneseccasry but ill give it a try at least once! -Josh

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: