Attach porch roof to wall?

Old 10-10-02, 01:56 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attach porch roof to wall?

I thought this would be real easy. I'm almost embarassed to ask as I considered myself (now past tense) handy.

I'm building a 'lean to' covered porch against the house.

How do I attach the rafters to the house (a vertical, ordinary wall). The 'lean-to' roof is slightly angled. Nothing complicated.

I went to Home Depot and 'assumed' there was an angled metal hanger...but there isn't. I thought there would be one like a joist hanger with an angled, adjustable lower lip.

So is this the course to take? I assume I put up a 2X6 horizontal board against the house (where 'lean-to' roof attaches), then...? Do I cut the end of the rafters the angle necessary and then toe-nail the rafters to the horizontal board? Do I need to put an extra 2X2 or similar piece under the rafter end to give it something to sit on?

This is a small structure, only 8' by 12'.

All help much appreciated.

Old 10-10-02, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Atrypa,

You seem to have things under control. Just because someone didn't provide you with good information doesn't take away any of your talents! The 2x6 idea to the existing exterior wall is good, you may want to go larger if you get snow. I have attached a link for the hangers you need. I assume that you have the rest of the construction process in order but if not, just ask, we are all here!

If Home Depot doesn't have these, see your local lumber yard;

http://www.strongtie.com/fr_homeowner.html

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: