putting roof on deck

Old 10-12-02, 05:44 PM
sam dryden
Visiting Guest
putting roof on deck

need some ideas on putting a roof on my deck metal? fiberglass? 4x4 post to suport it or wrought iron totaly at a dead end here. no railing now HELP
sam&linda in s.e. kansas

Old 10-12-02, 11:24 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is more to it than you are telling us. How far will this roof project from the house? You are getting into projection spans, wind loads that you will need to meet, (pretty sure a snow load is not an issue in Kansas!) How much or how little slope do you have clearance for? A metal roof requires very little slope. If you are thinking about using some sort of a comp. roof, that needs at least a 3/12 pitch. A cover framed out of wood will require a lot of maintenance. Something like an aluminum cover would be virtually maintenance free.

Old 10-13-02, 08:04 AM
sam dryden
Visiting Guest
roof

lefty, deck is 16 wide 14 deep free standing not attached to my mobile home. would like to cover complet deck dont want to attach roof to home as the tax,s just go nuts here in ks, when you permanantly attach any additions a 12x12 metal building on a slab is worth 67.oo a year in ks.
would a wrought iron railng and and supports handle a alum roof? space the supports at 4 ft in the rear and sides and8 ft in the front. have no idea about spans or loads so sorry

thanks sammy

Old 10-13-02, 08:10 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sam, you are on the right track. Since you are talking a mobile home (or "manufactured housing" as they preferred to be called), free-standing is the way to go. Most jurisdictions wouldn't allow you to attach it even if you wanted to. The wrought iron or aluminum scroll posts you are mentioning will work, however, those are low end posts. A 3" fluted aluminum post is stronger, but it will cost a little more. I would suggest using an aluminum flat pan or V-pan (or a W-pan)for the cover itself. Check out the web sites for Metals USA and Texas Aluminum Industries (TAI)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: