Attaching a ledger

Old 10-19-02, 12:48 PM
Justin_Schaefer
Visiting Guest
Question Attaching a ledger

In reviewing the site, this is the first detail I have seen that suggests using washers to create a gap between the siding and the ledger board.

Most of the DIY books I've seen recommend to remove siding and install a z-flashing strip above the board to keep water from getting between the ledger and house.

Just curious about others experience with this and the "best" method.

Also, some commentary on thru bolting the ledger vs. lag bolting would be helpful.

Many thanks in advance for your responses.

Old 10-19-02, 06:00 PM
MeffaDawg
Visiting Guest
Why not use the flashing to prevent water from running thru, and also use washers to prevent standing water in case it finds its way thru.

No brainer on the bolting question, thru bolting is better than lag bolts. Not to say you can't use lags, but better off with the thru bolts. I read an article on why decks and porches fail, and it almost always come down to improperly attaching the ledger to the house. Wish I still had the link, but ask around and I'm sure the consensus will be to go with thru bolts.

Old 10-19-02, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attaching a ledger the right way!

Justin_Schaefer,

I have attached a link to what is considered proper, read it thoroughly as it will protect you from any mistakes.

http://www.co.fairfax.va.us/dpwes/pu...dgerattachment

What MeffaDawg was referring to about decks falling down was in conjunction with builders using TJI's for rim joists which is legal meets code and the wall sheathing would go over this. Most of the decks that were falling were those that did not have a 2x stock filler installed for a future deck and the LAG screws were basically going into plywood - no holding power whatsoever!

Other problems is using standard dimensional lumber for a ledger instead of a W/T or other natural wood stock. Eventually the wet wood just gives out causing severe injury.

I personnally don't trust the link below about the washers and lag screws. There is no way that I would consider this a stable and solid anchoring platform and a concern that could lead to more problems. Proerly installing Z-flashing is the only way to go and it provides a sound surface to attach your ledger to. The use of carriage bolts is an overkill when you consider the span requirements of lumber and the use of beams as required. Lag screws are the best if sized and spaced properly as per code.

http://doityourself.com/deck/5deckledgerwall.htm

Hope this all helps!

Old 10-19-02, 07:09 PM
MeffaDawg
Visiting Guest
Doug,

I recall the article I was referring to mentioning that the ledgers were failing due to being fastened with only nails! Could you imagine?

I don't consider carriage bolts overkill, in fact if something is truly overkill then it's OK in my book. For a couple of bucks and some elbow grease it's worth every drop of sweat. Why not both carriage and lag? Who cares, make it indestructible!

Old 10-19-02, 07:23 PM
MeffaDawg,

You're right...some folks just nail ledgers on and they think it is going to hold! I just cringe at the thought of what could happen!

On the ledger attachment process, don't forget, smetimes you just can't get to the inside to install a carriage bolt, alot of folks are finishing their lower levels - drywall ceilings sometimes the plumbing is in the way and so on. I have never found it necessary to install both, lag screws work great and if you're installing them 8 - 14 inches apart and in a zig zag fashion, you're not going anywhere!

p.s. (Hey, what elbow grease?, after I predrill my holes, I usually bring my impact wrench and let it do all the work, except for the very end, to ensure that I have everything tight and no stripping!)

Thanks for the input!

Old 10-20-02, 05:46 PM
sboj
Visiting Guest
Hi Justin, There is a new product to attach the ledger board to the house. WWW.Hangrite.com. There is no need for flashing or attaching through the framing structure of the house. That means there will be no water infiltration into the house.

Old 10-20-02, 06:20 PM
sboj,

Good info sboj but the limitation with this product is you can't use it above 4 feet off grade but it does eliminate the worry of water infiltration. At $20 a bracket, it's well worth it, and most decks would not have to use more than 3 or 4.

I guess I just like more solid fastening devices than this. The 3/8" anchors didn't impress me much. I'm sure that one would have to keep the paperwork on the product when the inspector comes around because it may require some authentication to it's capabilities.

Good stuff, thanks for mentioning it.

Old 10-25-02, 06:59 PM
Justin_Schaefer
Visiting Guest
Attaching a ledger

To all who helped me with this phase of my project, Thank YOU! The ledger board went on today and I feel good about the strength and integrity of the connection.

The VA website (from Doug) was excellent for plan details and bolting patterns.

I also talked with my inspector about the hangrite.com product. He thought it was a good idea and would have approved it. If I wasn't already further along, I would have gone with it! Thanks for the Tip.

Now on to the Frame!

Best Regards,
Justin.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: