Ledger strength

Old 10-22-02, 08:21 AM
dhoude
Visiting Guest
Question Ledger strength

I am building a new deck attached to the back of the house and am just begining to install the joists. Everything is going well, but I am still concerned about the ledger board.

I have installed 2-3/8 x 4" lags at 16" apart all the way down the 28' ledger. All of the top lags tightened up firmly, but some of the lower ones failed to tighten at the end like anticipated.

What can I do at this point to fix "the loose ones"? I do not have access via the basement because it is finished.

Thanks!

Old 10-22-02, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ledger strength

dhoude,

Not knowing what you have for a home, exterior siding, foundation type, size of existing home joists, size of the ledger board, age of home, etc. I am unsure of the problem.

Are you sure that the home has a solid rim joist? I am assuming that you can not see the existing rim joist of the home which tells me that you are attaching this ledger over what type of exterior finish and if it over siding, what about that Z-flashing? It might be possible tht your lags may not be long enough if you are going over the siding.

I would consider raising your lower lags up about 2 inches and try this. It may be you drilled into a seperation between joist and top of foundation.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-22-02, 10:14 AM
dhoude
Visiting Guest
ledger strength

Thanks Doug, I agree that is what happened.

I was planning on running an extra lag in between each existing row halfway down on the board, so this helps.

The house is a 1987 New England-style chalet with "rustic-channel" wood siding. It is set on a "stepped" foundation" (frost-wall) and is a walkout in the front but a regular basement in the rear. I have cut away the siding and flashing has been used over the 2x8 ledger board. I did a couple of test lags before I started and it held well, so I figured it would be ok all the way down. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing the size the rim joist of the house.

thank you

Old 10-22-02, 11:29 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your house has a rim joist, there IS a way to get to it. Crawl under the house if the house is on a stem wall foundation and has a raised wood floor. Cut a hole in the basement ceiling to take a peek at the rim joist if you have a full basement under the joist. (If the house is on a slab, you don't have a rim joist!!) Did I miss any??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: