Dead man question...

Old 10-22-02, 02:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Dead man question...

I've got a seawall (bulkhead) with a couple of piling rods (the angled semi-horizontal steel rods that connect to the more-verticle deadmen) that have rusted through. These are the rods that pass through the piling, then through the bulkhead and should end up at the anchor area... I think... anyone have any ideas on how a new one can be sistered or what method is utilized to reconnect a new one (replace the rusted/busted one).


Old 10-23-02, 09:57 AM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,948
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been maintaining my pressure-treated wood bulkhead since the late '70's. It was installed with galvanized cable, but I replace all rusted/broken cable with 10" stainless threaded rods.
As soon as you see a tie-back break, whether it is a rod or cable, replace it immediately.
Remove the old tie-back (drive it out, if necessary, or drill a side-by-side hole), and install a new one.
Dig a trench from the bulkhead back to the deadman (OR subsititute a mobile home anchor in a hole dug with a posthole digger behind the deadman).
Run a new rod through the bulkhead with large washers and nuts on the outside of the bulkhead, and behind the deadman or anchor.
Good Luck!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: