Sand box on deck

Old 10-31-02, 11:38 AM
CitS
Visiting Guest
Sand box on deck

I'm planning to build a sand box that will be semi-permanently located on my wooden deck. I'm worried about rotting the deck wood. Would it be better to line the inside of the sandbox with plastic or landscaping paper? Do you have any other advice?

Old 10-31-02, 02:31 PM
mhpoole
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

I hope your not worried about your deck finish, that sand will be just like sand paper every time someone walks on deck. will wear the finish away very quickly

Old 10-31-02, 06:17 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And any cats that live within a mile of you will certainly be appreciative of the sand box!!

Old 11-01-02, 04:45 AM
L
Rotting of the deck boards would certainly be an issue. Anything you place on a deck that can trap water under it and block the sunlite and/or air flow that will dry it is going to cause the wood to rot. Making the object movable would help the situation. But, if you opt to use wheels or casters, make them large enough and soft enough that they don't dig into the deck boards either.

Old 11-01-02, 07:39 AM
CitS
Visiting Guest
OK OK

So, maybe that's a bad idea! Maybe I'll build a sand table instead.
-CitS

Old 11-01-02, 04:15 PM
L
A sand table would work, but it will have the same problem. Anything you place on the deck boards is going to have to be moved once in a while (every month or so) to allow the deck boards to breathe and air out. A sand box, with the right wheels, would also work. The wheels I was thinking of would be pnuematic (the kind you add air to) like those found on a wheelbarrow or a hand truck. Your choice. Either way, the cats will still find it!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: