DECK facing material

Old 11-05-02, 08:32 AM
ndival
Visiting Guest
Cool DECK facing material

I have a home at a southern New Jersey beach. I have two wooden decks, one on the first floor and one on the second. The deck floors are wood and the rails are vinyl.

I want to "cap" all the post and beams that support these decks. In talking with contractors they advise against a simple, thin vinyl capping material for this. They have all suggested a newer, more costly, vinyl product that will last much longer . Depending on the product, it had different names but essentially it was about 1/2 inch thick vinyl boards. The contractors said that they would not only last longer but require less maintenance and adhere better to the wood as the wood shifts and bends. I don't mind paying more if in fact it's the right thing to do

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-07-02, 11:00 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Provide us with some brand names, and we will pass along what we know of the products.

Old 11-08-02, 06:40 AM
ndival
Visiting Guest
a couple of product names were Permaboard and ViaCom. Thanks for your help

Old 11-10-02, 07:08 AM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I asked both of my lumber suppliers about the brands you mentioned. Neither has heard of them yet. I'm not totally suprised by that. You are in NJ -- I'm in CA. There has been no demand here for the type of product you are asking about, at least not yet.

Maybe Doug or one of the others in this forum has some knowledge of, or experience with the products in question.

Old 11-10-02, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ndival,

The only product that you refer to and one that I am aware of specifically for decks is this link;

http://www.vinylfenceanddeck.com/pro.../techdeck.html

There are fascia baords that would be about 1/2" or thicker available to wrap face the joists but I am not sure of matching color for the bottom side.

http://www.apmdirect.com/cgi-local/S...html?E+scstore (posts)

http://www.carolinavp.com/carolinavp-www/post.htm (posts)

When a customer has requested covering the posts and decks, it is better to use high grade paint, painting these these as they are usually above a patio. Let's face it, vinyl applications do require some nailing and adhesives will not hold properly. Vinyl materials are accessible through a local siding supplier and usually sold in rolls but flat stock is available depending on manufacturer.

The brands that you mentioned don't seem familiar to me as well. Regaredless of region, Lefty or I would have at least heard of it. Both seem unfamiliar and I would recommend that whoever you talked to would tell you where the product is sold and then you can review it. Seek references to see how they installed it and make sure that the owner's are happy with it. Make your decision based on hand's on look.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: