decking material in South Florida

Old 11-12-02, 08:59 AM
Wayet
Visiting Guest
Question decking material in South Florida

I am trying to decide on a decking material for south florida? I am concerned about the durability of wood, but I have heard that the composite materials get very hot. Anyone have first hand experience in this area of the country?

Old 11-12-02, 02:21 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have valid concerns about the durability of wood. From what I hear in this forum, your wood choices are pretty limited on the east coast. In chosing a composite, stay with the lighter colors. They don't get any hotter in the summer than wood.

We have installed a lot of Trex decks around here, using either the Natural, Winchester Grey, or Saddle colors. Haven't had a customer complain yet about their deck getting hot, or at least hotter than a wood deck, and we get temps. over 110 around here every summer.

Old 11-12-02, 03:35 PM
Wayet
Visiting Guest
Has the Trex held up well in that climate? How long have you been using it? What's the cost compared to using PT decking?

Old 11-12-02, 06:31 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trex will withstand any climate you want to install it in. It has been used in places like the Grand Canyon, the Florida Everglades Nat'l Park, one or more of the New Jersey boardwalks, Mt. Rushmore, Seattle, Redding, ...

It will cost more (roughly 1-1/2 to 2 times as much) to purchase than P.T., but you won't be replacing it in your lifetime. And you won't be sealing it every year or two. However, you won't be building the entire deck out of Trex either, just using it for the decking and, if you choose, the hand rails. The basic framing of the deck will be about the same. P.T. 2X's can span 24" (max.) between the joists, Trex can only span 20" (max.), so you will be installing some extra joists.

Trex is just one of about 20 or 25 composites on the market right now. They were the first, and they have the largest market share. They are after the same 'name recognition' that Kimberly-Clark has in the world of facial tissue. (Kleenex -- do you know what the second largest seller of facial tissue is??)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: