Cedar Woodwork

Old 11-16-02, 01:05 PM
Shakuhachi
Visiting Guest
Cedar Woodwork

We added a room that is like a porch only with walls and windows. In other words it has no heat or A/C. All the woodwork is rough unfinished cedar. Is it better to leave it that way or put on some polyurathane finish? I have heard that some woods, like cypress don't need a finish.

Old 11-16-02, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shakuhachi,

Since this is all inside under a roof, you have no fear of damage by the elements except the sun's rays. It becomes a matter of choice. If you like the look, keep it as is. If you have lots of windows, it may be adviseable to apply a finish that would filter some UV rays, some areas may lighten over time. Choose something that you like, but possibly a satin finish would be OK to enhance the wood but not to make it glare.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-17-02, 07:13 AM
Shakuhachi
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Doug. the room is on the north side of the house and doesn't get much sun. Just a piece on each end in the morning and other end in the evening. i think I'll leave it as is. It looks nice and rustic.

Old 11-17-02, 07:27 AM
Shakuhachi,

Sounds like you know what you want and have it under control. Rustic look always looks nice with the right decor.

Enjoy the room!

Old 11-30-02, 08:41 PM
ALMOST
Visiting Guest
rustic

don't mean to get in your face on this post , but got to thinking about this raw wood and kids and growups , tripping and slopping things around , thinking anything that hits this nice rustic look will be part of the rustic look , good luck

Old 12-02-02, 08:43 AM
Shakuhachi
Visiting Guest
I hear you. I'll probably end up putting on polyeurathane when i have time. Thanks

Old 12-02-02, 01:35 PM
Shakuhachi,
I don't mean to burst your bubble. But, you will probably be better off leaving the wood unfinished. You origiinally said "no heat or A/C". Neither polyurethane, or for that matter, marine spar urethane, will not hold up to temperature extremes. That, along with any sun or moisture will cause the poly to peel in about a year and a half.

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: