porch redo

Old 11-27-02, 01:23 PM
jshaw
Visiting Guest
Question porch redo

I have a screened porch off the back of my house that I am planning to remodel next spring. It is an 11 x 17 room built probably in the early 70s. I would like to turn it into more of a three-season room. I would like to enclose the bottom 1/3 of the walls (which are now 2x4 frames with screen over them) so it would have a wainscoting look. However, I don't know if wainscoting will hold up to the elements. Any suggestions for possible materials to use? Would a vinyl siding mounted vertically work? I would want this on walls in the screened room, as well as those facing to the outside. Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 11-27-02, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jshaw,

You have many options to the inside materials since this will be protected by windows. Lack of heat may be hard on drywall and particle board type material but alternatives are many, wood T & G boards, plywood, ceramic tiles, vinyl siding but not used often.

What ever you like excluding the items that would not fair too well are all available to you. I would assume that with what you are doing, this will be insulated and have the electrical all done. The only thing that would keep this from becoming a "habitable space" then would be heat. Think about this when you sell, money in your pocket.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-27-02, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doug raises some good points, especially looking ahead to when you may sell the house.

I like the idea of vinyl as wainscoating - but instead of the siding, how about the soffitt material? It, like the siding, is available in a variety of colors and several 'standard' patterns. To me, it would be more pleasing than the siding itself.

Another alternative would be vinyl coated paneling. These were original designed for use in high humidty/water areas such as bathrooms. Properly installed and protected on the back side, they should last well.

Old 11-27-02, 05:31 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The vinyl siding will work just fine, but DO NOT use the type made to be installed horizontally -- use the soffit and vertical siding. Not 100% sure about other mfgrs, but Certainteed's Iron Max comes in exactly the same colors as their Mainstreet and Monogram sidings. That covers about 28 to 30 colors.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: