deck beam attachment to house

Old 11-30-02, 07:15 AM
barneygoo
Visiting Guest
Question deck beam attachment to house

I had a 12x20 2nd story deck built . The 4 beams are perpendicular to the house and the joists ( 2"x10") are horizontal to the house. The beams are attached to 3 6"x6" posts 12' out from the house and 10' apart. The other ends of the 4 beams (2- 2"x10") are attached to the brick and block basement wall (there is no ledger) with double joist hangers fastened with concrete screws (tap-cons). Is this acceptable or should I add 3 more posts close to the basement wall. If more posts are needed how far from the wall should they be.

thanks

Old 11-30-02, 08:17 PM
ALMOST
Visiting Guest
seems to me over kill is better then under kill , i would have put outer post about 5 foot apart , and it looks to me like you don't like what you are looking at on the inner posts as well , yes , put some posts in by the wall , right tight to the corners , i could be wrong again , but like i said when i get done building a deck , you could land a plane on it , lol , i'm sure some one here knows more then i do , but i would rethink the amount of posts you have

Old 11-30-02, 08:32 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
barneygoo.

You are seeing the same problem I'm seeing -- those TapCons are not going to support your deck. You do need a beam parallel to the back of the house. I would place it 24" from the wall. Use the same size beam that the outer one is, and the same size posts, spaced the same. Set you 3 inner posts on 18" cubes of concrete, then cross brace everything. (Top to bottom, bottom to top; inside to outside, outside to inside.) With the spans you are talking, use 2X's for your X-braces.

Old 12-01-02, 12:22 PM
barneygoo
Visiting Guest
Lefty and Almost thanks for your reply. Lefty I cannot run a parallel beam against the basement wall because it's a walkout and the parallel beam under the perpendicular beams would block the door. I could add 3 more 6"x6" posts near or against the wall and bolt the existing beams to the new posts. Is there a minimum or maximum distance from the wall. Or could I place them against the wall.
Minimum footer depth is 42". Should I pour a concrete column to grade and anchor the posts to it. I don't think I could embed an 11' 6x6 under the 7' headroom under the deck.
Where the beams are attached to the wall with hangers and tap-cons, should I cut them back and slip a 2x10 ledger behind them? Should I make the leger a double 2x10? I could bolt the ledger through the masonry wall and install new joist hangers for the double 2x10 beams.
Top to bottom bracing would limit the use of the area under the the deck. Would 6"x6" knee bracing be ok.

Thanks again guys

Old 12-01-02, 08:34 PM
ALMOST
Visiting Guest
ya , i'm thinking that would do the job for ya and trick the project out alittle to, well you are doing it , i alway like the look of the angle braceing , it will make it look cool , about the inner post , maybe if you dig down you could set them right on the foudation ledge of your basement , just a thought , and put them tight to the house

Old 12-01-02, 08:50 PM
ALMOST
Visiting Guest
double plate

wow , that sounds like you would be getting back into a rebuild , you would have to build a knee wall under deck to hold this thing up well you broke it lose from house , it's not a bad idea ,do you have room for a couple of 2 by 8 flat up to the beams , nailed to the underside of these beams , and then put them post under it , this mite get you where you want to be , with out tearing the whole thing from the house , just a thought , good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: