aluminum patio cover

Old 01-15-03, 12:57 PM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aluminum patio cover

I've been getting estimates for an aluminum patio cover for my patio which is about 12' x 12'. All the quotes offer a 5 year gurarantees but the quotes range in price from CAD$1050 to CAD$2200. The guy with the most expensive quote claims there are big differences in quality, stability, durability, etc. Is there really that big of a difference in quality of patio covers to warrant a 100% increase in cost? Since they all offer 5 year guarantees, I figure they can't be all that bad.

Old 01-15-03, 06:42 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You got brand names for any of these? (I don't care who the installing contractor is -- who MANUFACTURES the cover??)

I install aluminum patio covers for about $13 (US)/sq.ft. A 144 sq.ft. cover should cost about $1875 (US). The ones I install have a lifetime warranty on the parts and a 10 year warranty on the finish.

You got a quote from one contractor for $1050 (CDN) -- that's what, about $750 (US)?? I can't buy a 12 X12 cover from my supplier for $750 (US).

You mention a quote you got for $2200 (CDN). Who is the mfgr of the cover? $2200 (CDN), $1875 (US) -- this one sounds, at least by the price, to be the cover worth looking at. But I'm still concerned about the warranty being so little.

Old 01-16-03, 11:19 AM
H
Thanks for the reply.

Is there a particular name-brand aluminum cover I should be looking for? Most of the quotes I've got are from the actual aluminum manufacturer themselves (i.e. they manufacture the aluminum V-panels) and are local companies.

For example, see:
www.richmondaluminum.ca

Old 01-16-03, 04:53 PM
L
That is one huge difference between the Canadian distributors of these products and the U.S. distributors. You say you are going to be able to buy product direct from the distributor? Are you a licensed contractor AND an authorized dealer for any of these distributors? Based on the questions you are asking, I doubt it. Here, you wouldn't be able to talk to the distributor, let alone buy product from them. Guess things are different up there.

Price differences? Sure. Let's start comparing parts. Are they all quoting you the same gauge of pan? Are all the hangers, gutters, posts the same? Do any include an outside beam, or are the all quoting you a system that uses the outside gutter as the beam? Are the pans 24" or 12"? Do they all include all of the sealants and fasteners you will need?

12' projection -- What snow and wind loads do you have to meet? Will teh pans they are offering meet those loads at that projection?

Have you ever put one of these up?

Old 01-16-03, 05:36 PM
H
Thanks for the reply again.

The prices I've quoted are installed prices (excluding taxes of course) provided by the manufacturer. The manufacturer provides everything: on-site measurement/estimate, the aluminum product, installation, and the guarantee.

I'll have to look into the details of the aluminum gauge, hangers, gutters, posts, etc. But yes, everything is included.

The manufacturer seems to be quite reputable with lots of installations in this area so I would think their product is capable of withstanding the local snow and wind conditions.

Old 01-19-03, 05:11 AM
L
The biggest issue in the wide range of prices you are talking about would be what each is using for the hanger, facias, gutter, posts, and beam. If any or all of these items are roll formed, the cost for the cover will (or should) be less. Pretty sure this is what the company with the lowest quote is offering. If these components are made of extruded aluminum, the cost for the cover will be more. But you are getting a higher quality product.

At $2200 (CDN), if the above mentioed items are extruded, you are getting a fair price. No problem with the company you mentioned, Richmond Aluminum. Talked with one of my suppliers on Friday and that is who they refer all of their Canadian inquires to.

Old 02-19-03, 10:55 AM
H
Just got my aluminum patio cover installed with a glass sunroof and it's great. Final price including installation and taxes is CAD$1300.

Old 02-19-03, 01:44 PM
L
ENJOY!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: