Deck Staining

Old 02-05-00, 08:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

This past July (99) I power washed, sanded, and stained our deck with a clear finish. I'm interested in restaining it this summer with the same clear type stain. My question is...is there a product out there that I can use to throughly clean and remove all the dirt without removing the last years staining?

Any and all responses are profoundly appreciated in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-00, 11:29 AM
Visiting Guest
A solution of household laundry bleach, deteregent and water. Use a scrub brush and rinse off with a hose.

Old 02-07-00, 06:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Chances are that as gentle as you are with cleaning you will probably remove some of the clear finish. Clear finishes tend to break down the fastest of all the stain systems available, not to mention it is actually good to remove a little of the clear finish so when you reapply your refresher coat it penetrates into the wood and not sit on top where it can become tacky and attract mildew and dirt. But this also depends on what brand you used.

Old 02-25-00, 08:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Generally when you have walked on the deck for a year or two, some of the finish has
already come off. Contact your local paint store and discuss not only the product
that you wish to put on but also the compatible product to be used in preparing the
surface before you apply the new coating. Then also ask the dealer how often the
manufacturer recommends additional coats of finish.

------------------
Clifford A. Olson, Home Inspector
==================================
FreeHomeTips - *Free* ezine
[email protected]
or go to http://www.caolson.com/ac-home-inspector/