New Deck

Old 03-05-00, 04:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi
We would like a new deck from our lounge room 5.2 m long and 6 m wide. The drop is from nil from the house to approx 1 metre high at the end of the deck. We have been quoted approx. $10,000 for a professional builder to build this project in spotted gum.
We are considering undertaking this project ourselves. Has anyone an idea on how much approx. it would cost excluding tools?

Old 03-05-00, 02:35 PM
Visiting Guest
I am not familiar with the exchange rate between the US and Australia (I think that is where you are from), and I would need to know what the cost per board foot is on spotted gum in order for me to estimate.

I built a much larger deck than what you describe for $5,000 American this past fall.

Provide me with the essential info and I'd be happy to help you out.

------------------
MTAC - VB,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Old 06-02-04, 09:58 AM
charliepbigboy
Visiting Guest
need lay out for a 25 round pool deck

need s some lay outs for above ground deck to sit at least five to six peoplecan anyone help

Old 06-02-04, 11:41 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Guest #1 --

What you are talking about works out to about $35 per sq.ft. or $320 per sq. meter. Get 2 or 3 more extimates (if possible) and see how things stack up.

Guest #2 --

As we all realize, what you can build yourself for $5K and what you can get a contractor to build FOR you for $5K are 2 totally different things. $5K gets me about a 350 sq. ft. Trex deck in my yard -- it gets a bit less than 1/2 that in one of my customer's yards!!! (I don't work for free, and neither does my crew!)

charliepbigboy --

deckplans.com is one site that has been mentioned a lot. Another source might be a local lumberyard. Many have CAD programs that will help you deign a deck, and then spit out the material list for it. Might also look in the local Yellow Pages under 'Drafting' or 'Home Design' (or similar headings) and go there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: