"Deck Brackets"

Old 03-06-00, 06:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Does anyone have any experience or
recommendations regarding "deck brackets"
(see http://www.decksusa.com/deck-brackets.htm)

They sound great, but I'd like to hear any
negatives I should consideration.

I'll be adding a 12' deck on a house that
has cedar siding.

Old 03-06-00, 07:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Without going to the site, I believe these are the brackets that attach to the bottom of the deck boards, correct?

That would be the only disadvantage that I would see. You've got to get under the deck and work. Not always a fun thing to do. You have no fastener head showing.

Sounds like a useful and ingenious product, but make take more time, which in my work means $$$.

------------------
MTAC - VB,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Old 03-07-00, 01:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Red face

No, this is not what the "Deck Bracket" product is. They are brackets that bolt to the house from which you can then hang the ledger board (and then bolt it in). According to the web site, this allows for construction of the deck framework on the ground, then just hang it in the brackets. Also allows for air circulation between the ledger and the house and eliminates having to cut the siding and also eliminates the need for flashing.

Again, it sounds great, but does anyone have any experience with them and are there any drawbacks that the marketing material on the
web site wouldn't address?

Old 03-07-00, 06:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Red face

I just visited the site and now have my "opinion."

It appears to be a reasonable gadget for a small deck. If you were to try and lift one of my latest deck frames on these brackets, you would need a crane or a small army.

I guess I would stick to the old fashioned way: remove, siding, flash, nail & lag the ledger board (rim joist) to the building.

At $5.00 per bracket they seem to be pretty proud of their hardware!

------------------
MTAC - VB,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Old 03-08-00, 03:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Rob:
They work great. Funny thing, I made brackets like those 20 years ago for decks we installed. Should have put a patent on them. The main thing you have to make sure of is that your hanger 2x6 or 2x8 attached to your house, is nailed to your wall studs.
So it is important you locate your studs, and
and attach your back board securely. Also the deck supports on the front of your deck need to be good and strong. They are actually what is going to hold your deck up.
The brackets will support elevation, and provide a balance point. Good Luck.

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: