Can I build a deck over concrete?

Old 03-17-00, 04:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have basically a 17x18 concrete patio...Can I build a wood deck on top of that?

Old 03-17-00, 06:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Of course. Just use .60 pressure-treated for ground contact, and .40 for decking/joists. This all depends on what part of country that you live in.

Old 03-17-00, 07:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

You can do this with the pressure treated lumber as described, but the most important thing you MUST DO is make sure that there is no way for water to pool around any of the wood.

No matter what you use, if water lingers there long enough, it will rot. Drain the water, drain the water, drain the water. Understand? Drain the water!

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Old 03-18-00, 04:06 AM
Visiting Guest
Lenny:
Yes, you can build on top of your patio. The two other responses have good points. Listen to them. Also, I would not set my deck directly on the concrete. I would use what is called a deck pad. They are 8" wide about 1 foot long and about 2" thick, made of concrete. They cost about $2.00 each. You can get them at any home materials store.
Put one about every 3 feet around your deck, and set the bottom of the deck on them. Also
put them under the stringers of the deck in the middle of your deck. That way you will
keep your deck wood dry. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: