tile over deck

Old 03-27-00, 09:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I'm just wondering about the possibility of placing an outdoor type ceramic tile over an existing deck (deck consists of pressure treated decking)...would this be possible? I've installed tile indoors on my own, but it was on concrete floor. Could you lay something like "backerboard" first? Would you need to have something other than the pressure treated decking underneath? This would be around a swimming pool and I want to know if it is possible and if so, how to prevent the deck from eventually rotting.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-00, 03:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Wood (pressure-treated or not), especially in an outdoor environment around a pool, tends to swell and shrink with the great fluctuations in moisture. Decking would be an extremely poor base for tile. If p-t wood is properly treated, many major manufacturers - such as Weyerhaeuser- have a 50-year limited warranty, which is probably defeated with a moisture-holding cover on it. To build a tile area around your pool, you would probably have to build up a packed earth embankment with retaining wall to hold a concrete base for the tile job. Need a "Plan B" on this one. Good Luck!

Old 03-29-00, 05:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Thanks for your reply...we're not set on this idea, just toying with what to do...trying to decide what we want to do...appreciate the input!

Old 03-29-00, 06:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Was your deck built with the intent to rot? Was it built incorrectly?

Maybe you can try this site for some help http://www.duradek.com/

Good luck.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net