Cedar vs Pine or Spruce

Old 04-04-00, 01:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I'm in the process of replacing the wood on the surface of my deck, I like the look of Cedar but am curios if the 50% to 60% increase in cost is worth the money. Does anyone have experience with Cedar? Does it fade and turn grey and is it durable or am I better off saving the money and going with the standard treated Pine or Spruce?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-00, 05:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Yes, cedar will fade and turn grey if not stained and treated with some kind of preservative.

As far as the additional cost - that's your decision. If I had the money, I'd do it. It makes for a beautiful deck.

Remember that it will not wear as well as treated Southern Yellow Pine.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net

Old 04-05-00, 04:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Yes, by all means use cedar. Use what is call 5/4 ths x 6" cedar decking. It has rounded edges. You have to use a 2 1/4" stainless steel screw. any other type will bleed on your deck. Cedar is more costly, but it will out last three other decks. Use a cedar stain right away. They come in various shades. DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT USE A WATER SEALER Use a cedar stain. Good Luck, if everything goes ok today we will finish a hugh cedar surfaced deck. The owners love the cedar. You will also. PS Put two screws in each joist.

------------------
Jack the Contractor