deck on patio level with house

Old 04-06-00, 06:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

We have a concrete patio we would like to build a deck on. But the patio goes right up to the sliding patio doors. So, to go out the doors onto a deck, we would have to step up. Is this acceptable? What would be most attractive, a ramp or a step? How high should the deck be off of the patio concrete?

Thanks!

Old 04-06-00, 11:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Advofit,
I think your major concern here would be just to make sure that you don't block drainage away from your patio doors. The patio should have some built-in slope away from the house. You could actually lay a pressure-treated wood deck over 2Xs laying flat on the concrete perpendicular to the house to allow drainage between them. You could use either 2X6 decking on 24" centers or 5/4 X 6" decking on 16" centers to give it a solid feel. The weight of the runners and decking will hold it in place, and since it would be only 2"-3" high, you would not need a ramp or step. If you build a deck up on joists/pilings any higher than this, I would allow room for steps up to it between the house and deck. I think you might like the flat decking better. I did this on a balcony with a built-up roofing floor on it, and it works fine. Good Luck!

Old 04-07-00, 04:01 AM
Visiting Guest
Yes, you have a concern. It is a National fire Code regulation, and this is closely watched by insurance companies. But it is easy to deal with. "You cannot come out of any door, and increase in elevation, without a landing." So, when designing how you want your deck, Measure the opening of your patio door side that opens, and then measure out a minimum of 4 feet, draw a rectangle, and now you can build your deck around this rectangle. It is already concrete so no problem. The rest of the deck can be the same elevation as the bottom of your door.
You just have to have a landing. I hope this is clear to you. I just reread it and almost confused myself. This happened one other time about 10 years ago. Have a good day. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: