Wide cedar decking

Old 04-14-00, 12:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I'm building a 400 ft2 deck on the South coast of British Columbia (NW of USA) Very wet in winter. It is for a timber cabin so we are trying to get a very rustic
look.
I can have 2" x 10" red cedar milled (actually 1 1/2") at a fairly competive price
($1/bf). Rather than running it thru a planer, what do you think of using a commercial
floor sander (the square orbital type) to get a somewhat smoother surface. We don't
need a glassy finish. Would the slightly rougher finish create problems with moss,
black alge, etc? Decks here get very slippery in winter due to alge, etc.

What type of oil or clear stain would you suggest. Would the wider cedar curl, should
we go with a narrower board? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 04-19-00, 10:33 PM
Visiting Guest
A 2X10 will probably cup on you, especially given the amount of rain in your area it will have to endure. I would suggest ripping each of the boards in half before installing them. The floor sander idea would probably be OK, but if you decide to go that route, I would use clips and screw the boards from the bottom. A screw head would tear up a sanding belt in a heartbeat. Besides, not having the screw heads on the top would eliminate rust stains as enhance the looks of the deck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: