Attaching Ledger Board

Old 04-25-00, 09:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Looking for advice on attaching a ledger board to a wall with vinyl siding. One person that i asked said to just crank down the lags and squish the vinyl to the joist another recomended that i remove the siding and install flashing. Any advice out there?

Old 04-25-00, 11:48 AM
Visiting Guest
It would be best to remove the vinyl siding first. My reasons are as follows---

1).Vinyl siding is overlapped only about 1" this is not enough overlap to keep seeping moisture out... also, vinyl expands and contracts to a much higher degree than metals. Holes at lag screws WILL expand...(I.E. your house band joist could rot and you wouldn't even know it).

2).When you tighten the lag screws against the vinyl, the board that you are fastening would be not be set true (because the vinyl siding profile would want to tilt the board--thus the ends of floor joists would have to be trimmed to match.

3). The appearance of the siding immediately to the sides of the deck would reflect the way that you decided to smash the siding rather than remove it.

4).All extruded vinyls have a "memory" (this is how they keep their shape indefinitely). When you smash the vinyl siding and force it to remain flat with lag screws, the force of the vinyl's memory will work to regain its shape putting stress on the lag screws or even loosening them over time---
Definitely not good.

The Best way to seal water out is to use aluminum coil (I like to use painted coil for a neater appearance and to insure that acid rain/the elements won't corrode through the unfinished metal). One way that I have installed it is flat against the wall... (With a 6"overlap every 8')...
Install high under the siding and down low enough to cover the mudsill. Another alternative I have seen other contractors do is bend the material over the the top of the header board of the deck but that method will require you to rent a brake.

Now their are some pre-shaped galvanized "Z" channels that exist to solve this problem, I prefer painted aluminum as the best choice.

------------------

Old 04-25-00, 02:56 PM
Visiting Guest
take a couple courses of siding off, put alumiun(every time i try to spell it just gets worse so......)flash behind your ledger board ,lag your ledger into your rim joist,put your deck on and your good to go hope this helps

Old 04-25-00, 11:03 PM
Visiting Guest
John@newlife is right. Remove as many courses of the vinyl as you need to to get the deck attached. What he didn't mention is that you will need to reinstall the starter for the vinyl under the lowest course you are keeping. The starter is the aluminum, plastic or tin shape that the 1st course locks onto at the bottom and keeps the vinyl in place. Plan on not being able to reuse the existing starter. By the time you remove it, it won't be straight or true enough to be reusable. Might be money well spent to get a vinyl siding contractor to spend 2 or 3 hours raising the siding to the level you need it to get the deck in.

Old 07-10-06, 07:52 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Message retracted

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: