Slabs

Old 04-25-00, 08:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Help PLEASE! I am looking to extend my slab. I am going to make it 12x18. I don't know the first thing about this. I know I need to build a frame and I need wire and concrete. It seems like it is simple but I am lost.
Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-00, 11:55 PM
Visiting Guest
I suggest that you get a couple of people who form, pour, and finish slabs on a regular basis to do it if you want it to be done right. If you want to learn how, ask them what you can do to help and learn. A 2 yard pour is not one for a beginner to tackle by him or her self without some pro guidance

Old 04-26-00, 05:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Find a concrete contractor who does sidewalks. Not all do them. Look in the yellow pages. This is a small and quick job for a concrete contractor. Low cost also. This will be a giant job for you. You will need special equipment, forms, etc. It will cost you more to do it yourself. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 04-26-00, 07:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Have you considered precast concrete shapes to solve your problem? If the area you are covering will not be driven over, many products exist that are do-it-yourself friendly---(Be prepared for heavy lifting and the hard labor associated with precast concrete). Concrete contractors tend to avoid small projects because they are used to the larger ones. They realize there is limited profit potential taking on too small of a job. Another issue that could eliminate contractors from bidding or overbidding the cost of the job is the proximity of the pour from the street--- How far, whether that distance is level or sloped and what the surrounding elements are (I.E. underground wiring for a shed, lamp-post light or other that may be hit when digging. Storm sewer drains that originate from your downspouts and are located in this area are another concern. Natural Gas Grill lines etc.

If you have your heart set on ready-mix concrete, one way to reduce the cost (and further entice the contractor) would be to "bundle" your job with a larger project for someone living close to you-- NOT 1/4 mile away but maybe a few doors down...
(I have done this before with success)

I totally agree with the previous respondents to hire a professional to do the concrete work.

Old 04-26-00, 08:08 AM
Visiting Guest
Thank You for all your replies. I have called everyone in my yellow pages and they will not do this small of a job. I have looked in my local paper aswell, and no luck. I am going to attempt to do this.
Thanks again!

Old 04-26-00, 07:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

This pour is 2 2/3 yards with a 4" thickness. Depending on how far you live from the concrete plant, they might not charge for the haul, but then again it depends where you live! I live 1/4 mile from my plant. I did a pour back in October across the street from it.

I recommend that you use 2x6 for your forms and dig the edges the full 5 1/2" deep. Make sure that your pad slopes downward away from the house maybe 2" total drop to the end and farthest corner. Make sure that you use plenty of stakes to hold your forms in place. Nail all corners together and double stake them. If you use fiberglass in your mix, you "might" not need the wire.

You will need a 14' "screed" board to strike off the concrete when it is poured. You'll need someone on the other end of it to help you pull the board along the top of the forms to knock down the cement. Make sure that you tamp down the concrete especially well around the edges. If not, it will honeycomb.

Before you order the cement make sure you have access to a bull float, an edger, and if you are going to put a fracture joint in, a seamer.

You'll need some sort of steel trowel to smooth it or a soft bristle broom if you are going to broom finish it.

Don't be afraid of asking for a very wet mix. It will help you more than you think. It will less likely get away from you that way. Don't over work it, and don't walk away from it at the wrong time either.

Good luck!!!

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net