Gate for Deck

Old 05-22-00, 10:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Just finished the deck, YEA! I'd like to now put some kind of a gate up in the stair entrance to keep Rover from running away. The opening is 46" wide and the height would be the same as the railing (36".) I can find no direction/tips to add a gate to a deck on the 'net. I thought maybe one of you fine folks could help. I really don't know where to start. How do I build something like this that will be of solid construction? Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-00, 07:15 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

I don't know how big Rover is but I can tell you what we did for Sparky, 45 lb Australian Shepherd. We took some of the heavier grade lattice and cut it to size and framed it with the routed board they sell to mount lattice. We could attach it with hinges to one of the newells and use a simple gate hook if we wanted it to swing out at the bottom but choose just to set it in at any step we desire. Out steps only have handrails with supports on some steps. If your steps have solid side supports for rails, then you would probably have to hinge the gate at the bottom. Pretty low cost and not too bad looking, especially since our deck is underpinned with lattice.

Old 05-26-00, 03:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Again not knowing how big the pup is or how adventuresome, here is a method I see a lot of folks using for that purpose.

A child's safety gate. Made from plastic, wood expansion types, etc. many different designs made to fit many different opening sizes.

Seem to work for folks for both the young'ens and furry fellows, see a lot of them being used in many different situations and designs.

Old 05-26-00, 10:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

I built a doggy gate on a deck using scrap 2x4 and leftover spindles, all from the deck project. Just screwed them together. The gate swings toward the deck, so doggy can not open it. Used spring load hinges and didn't even need a latch.